Is this mower a good buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pattytastik, Oct 24, 2011.

1. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

I have been mowing 20-60 lawns (started around 20 and have grown to 60) in the past 5 years (12 years old-17 years old) with 21in mowers (toro super recycler). I have been very happy with the mower because I mow city-sized lawns (very small). I have spoken with a few local LCO's and they say that anything bigger than 36'' just too big for these sized lawns (and I agree). So I am considering stepping up to a 36in for next year. I want to down the line get a exmark or scag but money is a bit tight with college savings and such and do not want to take a loan out for one. Would the following mower do well in a commercial setting? I mow around 30 a week (bi-weekly lawns).

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/grd/2666116378.html

2. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't look bad but honestly I'd look for a hydro. If your working with minimal space it'll be much easier to maneuver

3. WJC

WJC LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to see anyone buy a belt drive mower because they are a lot more work then a Hydro. If you are doing those small yards then you will probably be pulling back on it quite a bit, which is a lot more work. I would suggest waiting until you can find a deal on a Hydro unit. I hate my belt drive 36" for that reason.

4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Well first off, what is your budget?

A hydro would be best for smaller tight yards. Having real reverse makes them so much easier to manuever. I run a hydro walkbehind now but I have run belts in the past. They aren't that bad, but they are certiantly slower and tire you out more after cutting small properties all day long.

5. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut most of my yards with a 60 ztr and I have a couple small gated back yards I used to cut with a 21. I found a good deal on a belt drive 32 walk behind and it sucked so bad with no reverse it just sat in my garage until I sold it. I found a deal on a 36 hydro a few months ago and I never hesitate to use it on these yards it is like night and day. The belt drive is like running a tiller I see you are young so maybe you can handle it but for me it was too much work. Look for a hydro.