1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this mower a good choice?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DiMassa33, Aug 4, 2006.

1. DiMassa33

DiMassa33 LawnSite Member

I am 15 and just starting in the lawn care business. I have really enjoyed cutting grass for a long time now. I have had several customers, mostly neighbors or relatives, and currently have only a couple of lawns. About two years ago my dad bought me a Troy Bilt 21 hp riding tractor. This mower has been great for my yard and a couple customers, but I realize that it is not the best for commercial mowing. Next year, my dad has committed to buy me a Ford Ranger and trailer, partially because he desperately wants me to get customers and then leave the business to him when I graduate from college so he can retire and cut lawns, which would be like his dream. The one problem I have is that my riding tractor is not going to be commercial enough.

I have been looking at mowers for a while now and have mainly considered the TROY BILT 50" RZT mower. It's pretty much a residential zero-turn mower. Do you guys think this will be powerful and efficient enough to cut around 20-25 yards per week?

I was also looking into getting a used commercial zero-turn, but even the used Exmarks seem to be too expensive, I'm looking in the Ballpark of 3-4 grand.

P.S. - What is the best way to attract the most customers. I'm planning on flyers, business cards, and newspaper ads. Which one works the best, and what are some other good ideas?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

NO, don't get a residential Z, they are CRAP!!! Do what i did and buy a Commercial WB with sulky. Cost me $3200 for mower, sulky, mulch kit, and bagger, all brand new, and all accessories installed and ready to go.
  3. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

4. LawnmanJ

LawnmanJ LawnSite Member

I would start out with something as ^^^ told you. Thats the best way to start is with a good w/b.... Remember you get what you pay for.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you are tight on money than yes the Walk Behind with a velke would be 100times better than a homeowners mower. You will just be throwing money away.
    Think about it this way-- Mowers do no cost money---They make money.
    Spend what you need to, to make that money. Being cheap only causes you to lose money.
    J is right-- you get what you pay for!!:)
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

For your price range, you can find a used 48" walk behind like an exmark turf tracer or a toro proline. Of course, there are other brands out there.

I know I repeat this a lot, but better outdoor products makes a nice walk behind, I believe it's a 36" with a 16hp Kawi, for a good price, I believe it's 2300 or so. No I'm not a shill for better outdoor products, but I think it's a great option for someone starting up with limited capital. I keep looking at getting one, and I may next spring for smaller jobs where I just don't need a 48" or larger mower.

Either of those options will do a much better job, cut nicer, and be much more durable than any Troy-Built junk.