1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this mower too big?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by bmxerss, Jun 23, 2013.

1. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Around here, anywhere you can fit a 52, you can fit a 60 with ease. Im banging my head for not getting a 60 from the start as even smaller properties would accept the larger mower no problem. Thats just my area though
  2. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 52" ztr and a 36" vride. Perfect combo for residential yards. I have many places a 60" would not fit.
  3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I know people will not like this but I found the best combo is 60''/72''/72''
    Back in the 80s ran 50''/50'' mowers I was so glad to move to 50''/60'' and dang to where Im at now
    I just don't have time to waste on a smaller mower
  4. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably biggest issue is the size, if your trailer is big enough than it would probably work.
  5. bmxerss

bmxerss LawnSite Member

I'd also be purchasing a 6x12
  6. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

I had to switch from res/com. to pure com. when I got the 60"z. It took me a year and a half to do and I lost 2 res customers right away after first mow with it. I was not at all new to a 60"z. I had a 61" snapper z from like 2000 and it weighed in at 800# the toro is 50% heavier but with a much wider tire. Didn't matter, it tore up stuff in the wet. I don't miss residential lawns or the customers one bit. I can set my watch to the time it takes my commercials to pay. It is VERY consistent and they leave me alone. Love it actually. Much better money with larger accounts and less travel. There isn't a very strong res. market here like some of you enjoy. It was a tough way to start doing res lawns, but it was a start.

Those front mount mowers sit on CL here at any price. Nobody uses them. I do see a guy with a 48" F something Deere from time to time, he looks happy on it.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use my 60" Dixie Chopper on every lawn I have. The only exceptions are when there are gates that aren't wide enough. Scalping and turning aren't an issue.
  8. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

a 36 will scalp less then a 48, a 48 will scalp less then a 52, a 52 will scalp less then a 60 and so on and so forth. Especially on hills.

I love the 52" but the 60" is a beast when you get to big areas.
  9. wilsonbh

wilsonbh LawnSite Member

I'm considering getting a Toro Z Master 60 but am concerned it might be too big. I mow a residential yard of 1.25 acres with tons of trees. The grass is thick Bahia in the back and my old John Deere 14hp mower can't handle it very well. Takes me almost 3 hours to mow this yard.

I also have a chance to buy a Gravely 148Z 48 inch deck. This mower is a 2009. The Toro is a 2004. The Gravely has 818 hours and the Toro has 693 hours. The Gravely has a 23hp Kawasaki.

Have to make a decision by Monday. Anyone have any recommendations?

10. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

I would need to know what model that toro is to help. If it's a z200 or 150 I would go for the Gravely. If it is more of a Toro it would be the thing to do. Do you have hilly yard or flat yard. One small steep hill and you want any Toro over the small Z of any brand. Hard to beat a Gravely, unless to go to a larger class of mower, which is what you have going on here