Is this MTD on Ebay the same as Cub Tank?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jim Clark, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Jim Clark

Jim Clark LawnSite Member

There's an Ebay listing for a MTD commercial 60" ZTR. The guy listing it is saying it's the same machine as a new Cub Tank. There's one obvious difference, the deck on the MTD is stamped and the new Tank decks are welded. Other than that they look similar but it's hard to tell what other significant changes there might be.

Here's the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2029129359

Here's the site for the Cub Tank:

http://www.cubcommercial.com/servlet/BrandProductDetail?ID=335&CAT=28&SUB=88#

Opinions on this mower and his price for the buy-it-now?

Jim

2. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

You have already done some good homework - about the time the tank was introduced, I considered that machine, if I remember right there was several hundred dollars difference when the tank came out - as you said, lots of it is the deck, also the tanks use Kawasaki engines, I believe. I thought the tank looked great but could get no response from dealers or the manufacturer in my area - you might try to get info on this from dealer or manuf and it might help you make up your mind.

3. Hello Everybody:

I could be Wrong but I think MTD has Recently Purchased Cub Cadet Mowers.

Now you could be Compairing a Original Cub Cadet built by them to a MTD!

As far as I know all MTD's have Stamped Sheet Metal Decks! Not Very Strong ones Either!

4. Jim Clark

Yes, MTD does own Cub and have for a while (I thought). What I'm trying to figure out is if the MTD in the Ebay add is now being sold as a Cub Tank with the obvious difference of a welded deck instead of a stamped one.

Also, this machine would be for personal and not commercial use.

Thanks for the replies.

Jim

5. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

If you go to MTD PRO website, it tells you that the MTD MMZ is no longer made but is similar to the tank. In fact, when the MMZ was made, it was identical to the Cub Commercial, but as you noted about the deck, this was not quite the machine that the tank is. I believe the list price for that MMZ was around $6500 - of course, that was 2 years ago; everything goes up.

6. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

MTD and White Outdoor Products are all owned by Cub Cadet.

7. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

Yes! THe cub cadet mowers are manufactured by MTD. I bought my cub from the same factorty that manufactures Yard Machines, Troy-built, Yard Man and some others. Everything that MTD produces is practically the same except for paint color, and as for the Tank the tank is probably built stronger and with a better engine than that of a 60" MTD commercial rider!

HOpe this helps ;)

8. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

that is an mtd pro. it is the same as a cub tank or lesco. the stamped deck does just fine for non commercial use. the only difference between the cubs mtds and lescos are a few minor details. they are basically all the same mower with different paint jobs. i have a cub zt that was made just before the tank was. it has the stamped deck and hasnt given me any trouble.

9. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

As a former cub owner, MTD owns the name cub cadet, they also own the name white. They bought cub cadet off of international harvester in 1985. So there have been no "true" cubs made after that. I do think the quality is not there that once was, with that said here is what I think of the cub I once had.

The cub I had was a very good piece of equipment for a homeowner model. Over 500 hours and no problems, but it was a homowner 42" 15 hp. Zero turn. It is a good machine or I would have not have sold it to a captian on the fire dept I am on.

How ever I looked at the very machine you are looking at befor I bought my great dane.

The 1998 25 hp kohlers had a head gasket problem it was fixed in 1999 so you might want to check the engine code to see when it was made.

And yes it does have a cheap stamped deck on it. It may have low hours but It is pushing it IMO at 5500.00. I think you can get a much better machine for a few dollars more.

But thats just my openion.

Jim

10. Jim Clark

GrassMaster84:

I'm not sure I understand the last part of your post. Cub Cadet didn't build anything like the Tank before being acquired by MTD. MTD built the MMZ commercial ZTR. Then comes the Cub Tank which looks just like the MTD MMZ and MTD stops building the MMZ. The point I'm trying to get clarification on is that I think the MTD MMZ IS the Cub Tank, MTD decided that it made more sense to market their commercial line under the Cub name which had a better reputation for quality, smart marketing move.

My concern is that more changed than just the aforementioned deck. I have sent Cub some email questions concerning this. I will report back when they respond.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Jim