1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is this mulch price crazy am I crazy or

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by fl-landscapes, Feb 24, 2011.

1. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

ok, I did an estimate today for a commercial mulch job. I have the inside track on the bid as I coach the customers son in little league. She told me as long as I was inline the job was mine. I am gonna wait to see what you guys would bid (if you care to share that info) then Ill tell you what I bid and what they paid last time. Specs, easy access, red cypress mulch, 10,170 sq ft. I figured it at between 1.5 and 2" deep for a total of 56 yards of mulch. Price includes cleaning debris out of beds prior, and there was a lot of trash. I'll admit I am never the cheapest bid on anything I do but holy crap the previous bid was low!!! So whats your round about gestimate to spread 56 yards red cypress mulch? Bottom line I didnt even bother haggling, told her thanks for the opportunity but I cant compete with people working for beer money.
  2. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the access like, how many plants are in the beds, flat or burmed, can you back a dump trailer up to the beds or do you have to wheel barrow, how far is the job from your supplier ?
  3. fl-landscapes

beds are big though so you would have to wheel barrow or lump bags, but its a fairly easy job as far as accessibility. plants are rows of sweet viburnum and juniper. From supplier, about 8 miles.
  4. eco.lawns

eco.lawns LawnSite Member

$4,500 plus $1 for every 5 feet of edging. Plus maybe another $50-100 depending on how much trash there is to pick out. Thats about the going rate in my area at least
  5. fl-landscapes

keep em coming.....want some local stuff to compare.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

My labor rate would be $3900 for just the labor, i charge $70 per yard installed, that includes edging, and cleaning out the beds. and whatever else the mulch costs. i can get red mulch around me for give or take 40 per yard. so i would be looking at roughly $2200 in material+$3900 for labor so like $6100 out the door.
  7. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd be around $1300 for the mulch and $3200 for the labor.
  8. fl-landscapes

hey z if your not comfortable (or if anyone is uncomfortable) putting prices on the open forum PM me and Ill give you my price and the winning bid. I am posting those numbers here anyway when I get back from my sons baseball game.
  9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

We charge between 55-60 a yard installed, thats the going rate in my area, would love to get $70. I get my mulch cheap though dbl ground, quality stuff.
  10. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I would be in the same ball park as that is roughly the going rate here to.

For that volume I would sub it out to the mulch company who would come blow it in and delivery it for $34 a yard. Which includes blowing, delivery, and light trash pick up.

Customer pays let say the low end $55. I am still making $21 a yard and doing nothing but picking up the trash. I walk away with $1115 at 56 yards for picking up trash and a little trimming. Not a bad gig...but I got a feeling the other bid was much lower?