1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this normal for a new Toro Walk Behind Spindle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by louviljlj, Jul 10, 2006.

1. louviljlj

louviljlj LawnSite Member

http://lambertlouviere.com/Toro Mower.htm

I posted a video of the spindle at my Web site above so you can view how much it is wobbling. Toro says this is normal but seems like it is bent to me. Please let me know if this is normal and why does it wobble like that. Thanks. When you open the page it will take a minute or so for the spindle video to load.
  2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure looks like it has a wobble and is bent. I'd pull the shaft and put a straight edge on it to see for myself. If it is not straight I'd show the dealer.

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

NO, it is NOT normal. Are there any other dealers around that will look at this for you? You are stuck between a rock and a hard place. The spindle can be taken apart and it can be determined what exactly is wrong with it. BUT, why should YOU have to worry about such things. Why should YOU have to determine the exact cause. The bearings could be bad or not sitting in the housing correctly. The bolt could be bent. The shafy could be bent. The spindle housing could have a defect in it. There are many reasons that could account for the wobble. BUT, AGAIN, why should YOU have to worry. Get on the horn to TORO, and scream like hell. Have them view a copy of your video. Get ahold of them on this site. Make a big stink out of this matter. Don'T take no for an answer. Let us know how you make out with it.
  4. I watched the video. I could see the top of the bolt with about a 1/4" of wobble. The pulley had somewhat less.
    I'd have to agree with what someone else said before. It's got to be a bent bolt. It couldn't be the bearing/spindle assembly. If bearings were that loose the assembly would rattle when you shook it and probably have ball bearings falling out. The part that holds the bolt might have been made slightly out of round.
    What really matters is the quality of cut. Does the blade wobble like that?
    Have you tried swaping blade bolts with the other spindle?

As for your original question is this normal? I'd almost have to say it's to be expected. I have a proline 36" It's pretty crude. Lots of stamped and die cut parts instead of machined. You can't really expect the better machines in the Toro line until you hit the "commercial" grade of machines.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

What are you talking about? His machine is a commercial grade machine.

And no it shouldnt wobble like that IMO. That has got to give the machine a shimmy if all 3 of them do that.
  6. louviljlj

louviljlj LawnSite Member

I haven't sent Toro the video yet. I just built this web site in the last couple of days but I wanted to get some other opinions first before I persue it. I have not had a good experience with Toro Customer Service so far and wanted to make sure I am not expecting to much Maybe this is the best quality of thier spindles "bent". I don't have another mower to compare it to and have not had time to go to the city to look at another one "50 miles away". I was told that Exmark and Toro use the same spindle as the one I have so if someone out there who knows more about mowers then me can explain what is going on I would appreciate it. I am assuming that the shaft is all one peice and extends out the top where the nut is attached? right.
  7. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Even a cheapy homeowner's machine is put together better than that! There should be no play or run out in a machine spindle unless it has defective parts somewhere in the system. I hope you can find a better dealer to take care of your warranty problem.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like a chop shop job to me. No spindle should have 4 washers on it...

9. Toro has 3 catagories: Homeowner, Professional, and Commercial.
  10. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

well take it to another dealer and let another set of eyes check it out. A bent shaft is pretty easy to find out thru several methods. You can measure the blade tip height and many different points of rotations, you can check it with a straight edge, roll it on a flat surface, put it between 2 live axis and spin it and check it with a dial indicator for run out. but a dead and easy give away is how your blade bolt slides thru it. if its easy, its prolly not bent, if it hard to push the blade bolt thru, it could be bent and binding the bolt as it tries to push thru the center of it. spindles should have no side to side run out, but a little (thousands of a inch) of up and down "endplay" is okay, that keeps your brgs from binding and burning up, just like cranks and cams in an engine. you might have a housing issue, were the brg areas were machine a bit to big and allowing the brgs to move and cause a vib and look wobbly.