Is this normal, or, does the dealer think I am a dunce?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steelratt, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Steelratt

Steelratt LawnSite Member
    from CNY

1. Someone already pointed it out. I can fix it if it really upsets anyone. Chalk it up to late night brain failure.

2. Not going to argue there. Like I said, it's not the hours that really bugged me.

3. I drove a mower than had sitting in front of the place all season. Just because I look at a TV on the floor at Circuit City, I shouldn't expect them to throw it in a box and give it to me when I buy one. Why should I have to specify that I want a new one? Shouldn't it be their responsibility to point out if they are talking about a slightly used one, rather than a new one? Thats just a ridiculous position to take.

4. It's not their call about what it acceptable, it's mine. This isn't a mower for a contractor thats going to get banged around, its for residential use, and I like to take care of my stuff. I mean, getting food all over my couch doesn't affect its fucntionality, but that doesn't mean that I want to crap it out. I pride myself on how I take care of my equipment. I just gave away a yard man mower I used for the past 7 years. The thing looked brand new (except for the underside of the deck, can't help that) and still starts immediately on the first pull. I appreciate that it's functionality wasn't impaired, but I like my $5000 new items to look, well, new.

2. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

Would you have accepted your 2003 HEMI if you test drove it and it had a big rust spot on the fender and the dealer dropped off the same demo car at your house.

3. Steelratt

from CNY

Sure. I mean, it doesn't affect it's functionality. It's your fault for not specifying that you wanted a new one.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Steelrat you were correct and in the right in regards to your dealing with this situation. Nothing wrong with standing up for yourself and making sure you get what you paid for.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

That's the problem. If you drove that truck, then everyone would know that's the vehicle you're dealing on.

Steelrat said he got the mower for less than retail, by $8 or 900, so that would more than compensate for the rusty areas and 2 hours on the hour meter.

IMO, I'd buy a mower for that much less, since I know a can of spray paint and I'm back to having a new mower.

Chalk it up to a lack of communication, nothing that the dealer NOR the buyer did wrong.

6. Steelratt

from CNY

Honestly though, is ANYONE paying retail for their lawnmowing equipment here? Everyplace I went was offering money off immediately, before I even started negotiating. To me it was pretty clear that I was getting a new one, and the initial resistance from the dealer when I complained made me a bit worried, but they came through in the end without any issues.

7. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

8. LwnmwrMan22

9. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

10. LwnmwrMan22