IS THIS ON THE WAY OUT? Pics>>Help!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by WETSCAPE, Jun 15, 2008.

1. WETSCAPE

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

Sorry to post this in this section but I am a bit concerned. I planted a weeping cherry last week and it was hot (perhaps my first mistake)? I have watered every day since planted with the Irragation drip lines and have watered with the hose. It got hot real quick here in CT. Does this look like a problem? If so what can I do? I am starting to see some brown leaves develope.
    Thanks so much for any help!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or is it a little shocked from the transplant?

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe too much water. What kind of soil conditions, any amendments, any problems when planting? These guys like the soil loose and well drained. If you just popped it in the ground and it is hard clay or the like the water is just sitting in the ground.

3. WETSCAPE

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

No Clay well drained soil. a little peet on the bottom, backfilled half way watered filled and left a watering ring and mulched.. Have been watering sense.

4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Was it perfectly normal when you put it in? I still say too much water, whether by actual water or soil holding water. Other option is damage to the roots from dryness before planting.

5. WETSCAPE

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

You are correct! Way to much water! I pulled the mulch back and found the drip line wraped around three times! The top of the root ball is really wet. I turned off the drips line completely and pulled back the mulch in hopes of drying up. She may be a goner, although you never know.....Any suggestions for this (other than hope for a dry spell)?
    Lesson learned the hardway!
    Thanks WETSCAPE.....

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Slow the water way down, but do NOT let it go dry at this time!

7. WETSCAPE

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

Will do.... Just my luck suposed to get a heavy Thunderstorm tonight....(ahhh).

8. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Used to be a TV commercial that I loved where a guy was looking at a sad looking little tree and said my new tree didn't look very good so I watered it. Then it really started to look bad so I really soaked it good. Then it looked even worse so I ran the hose on it all day. Then all the leaves fell off......It was about that time someone explained the concept of overwatering to me.

9. WETSCAPE

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

Thanks.... Kick a fella when he is :eek: down.