Is this out of line?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green-Pro, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I sent out all info relating to full property maint. end of December '05. I offer a slight discount for those that choose full maint and pre pay or pay twelve months. I ask them to have a decision made by Jan. xx of 2006 in order to qualify for the discount also. Payment for twelve months begins first of year, pre pays due by March 15th.
    O.k. one customer we did a lot of work for last year finally decided last week. I sent him the proposal again and still offered the discount if he paid in full now or twelve monthly payments. He goes for the twelve I send him an invoice foe the months of Jan & Feb. He emails that he has EFT the payment but that he feels the need to explain the contract to me (can you say PITA?). His beef is that it should run from March '06 to March '07. I said I'm not to wild about starting this garbage of having everybody on different contract start & end points. I reminded him I was being a nice guy by still offering the discount. he brings up point about someone wanting full maint. contract in May or June. I replied I still though March was within reason particularly if I'm still offering the discount, and that if the May, June scenario occurred each service would be billed out separately at a considerable increase (hint hint). They would at the end of the year then have the opportunity to agree to a one or three year service agreement.
    Just wanted to know if you guys or gals think this was out of line.
    This was not like a heated argument by any stretch, trust me this guy always has issues. He pays on time and pays well, but is a major pain.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well if its for 12 months then it's for 12 months..I don't think I am sure what your saying here.

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Doesn't sound bad to me. I think he had the right to question the contract and you had the right to explain it.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Here the question that if you ask yourself when in doubt answers 99% of what you need to know.

Are you ready for this bit of wisdom and what I stated above?????

Do you need him more than he needs you? Simple questions but will fill in a lot of blanks. If he's a 10k a yr customer thats a pita and you need the money then you might want to make that change for him, if he's a 50k a yr customer but you can live with out the money or replace him with the same amount then you tell him the rules. Works everytime and for all those that say they don't kiss azz your throwing great money away. They tell me to pucker up I say "SHOW ME THE MONEY" and the more benjamins there flashing the more I'm puckering.

5. Green-Pro

So to sum up a little bit can go a long ways but a lot can be downright sickening :laugh: :laugh:. He can be a Royal PITA from the standpoint of always seeming like he is complaining (last year it was about how the friggin invoices were dated). We could replace him with extra work. Like I said he has paid and is now on the twelve month plan. he always requests extra work as well boosting the yearly take on this gig. I really didn't plan on keeping him on this season, but thought what the he11 I'm already in the area. We have already completed spring work on the prop. so I'll stick it out this year but likely drop him next. He seems like one of these guys that thinks he's just hired a live in 24/7 personal groundskeeper for 5-7 k LOL!

6. Green-Pro

She what I'm saying is he wants his agreement to start march '06 and end or renewed march '07. He was questioning my invoice to him requiring remittance for the months of Jan and Feb.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

It's probably like it is up here in MN. People don't want the agreements starting before you do any work.

You can't get someone to sign a maintenance agreement in MN, that starts in Jan, Feb, or March, because we're still in plowing season, and usually they have the plowing already covered.

If it's just for the mowing, they feel like they're being screwed over for paying you even though you're not doing work for another 1-3 months.

It could be the same total as the 6 month contract, just spread out over 12 months, but they still feel like they're paying you, and it's not even mowing season.

8. Green-Pro

Know what your saying about the paying while its frozen and snowing outside. I have several other residential clients that pay year round, no problems. This guy is a complainer plain and simple. need to apply Mac's PITA payolah payup template to this one.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Just pucker up if the cash is right :laugh: :laugh:

10. tfosterjr

tfosterjr LawnSite Member

Thanks, now I got coffee everywhere.:laugh: :cry: