Is this possible???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gatewayuser, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Alright in 1 1/2 yrs I maybe moving 3 hrs from my current location. It would be a major change to my business structure. What the plan is as of now is to not offer landscape installs anymore only landscape maintenance. I would have 2 locations I already have built this one to the point where employees can run it. I have an employee of 2 1/2 yrs who I would be able to trust to manage. His current wage is $10.00 per hour he said he would like 14-15 per hour to manage. I think that would be a fair wage also. I would then be solo where I would live. All new customer calls would come to me but customer service calls would go to each branch. We picked out a fantastic slogan already too! To get this to run perfect it will take all 1 1/2 yrs to get this ready. So how easy does this sound to do. Also I already have an office manager so that part is and has been taken care of. Once a week all of the route sheets would be emailed to me so at the end of the month everything would be billed. Approx. once every 2 weeks I would do checks on properties to make sure they are being well taken care of.

2. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

It is do-able but you need to have the systems in place. How many employees would you have at your branch?
    One good way to test things out is to go ahead and start doing "dry runs" now. Don't show up for a day or two and see how things go....then try a week, etc.
    I was just out for close to 2 full weeks due to some type of bug that I caught, I could not imagine what would have happened if I got sick 3-4 years ago, it would have been a nightmare. Things ran really smoothly while I was gone, and that was with no preparation of me being absent for 2 weeks.

3. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Also, you need to go ahead and start looking for a #2 man just in case something happens to the guy you have lined up to manage things now. Imagine what would happen if he splits a month after you move.....I know you are going to say that he won't do that, but you never know.
    Another thing to really think about is that just because someone is a great worker does not mean that they will be a great manager.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I say 3 hours apart is too far...just my opinion.

5. BPLS1993

BPLS1993 LawnSite Member

essentially, you are just setting up a franchise, and if he wants 15 per hour to run, your getting a pretty good deal on that if you ask me

6. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Make sure you are able to visit your satelite office at least twice a week and plan on spending 5 to 10 hours a week on the satelite office. You need to make sure quality is being kept as if you were still in that office every day. This will be difficult, often very difficult, but not impossible.

7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking the same thing ... $ 15 / hour seems a little low to manage a branch office and it's operation.

8. Gatewayuser

It will be fairly easy managing.

9. Gatewayuser

I already have a #2 lined up who has a bachelors in business but for 19.50 per hour.

10. Gatewayuser

I will not be mowing this week or next to make sure he can manage.
    Thanks for the post keep it up! :)