1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MikeKle, Feb 19, 2010.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been thinking about adding a hydraulic cylinder to my truck bed to make it a dumper since I read the other thread about it and since I will have lots of mulch jobs in another month or so, but they are close to $1500 for most kits, and I was thinking if I could find a manual hydraulic cylinder, like a big floor jack has, and instead of having a powered dumping bed, I would have a manual dumping bed that I would obviously have to crank a handle to raise and lower, but it should still work the same...right? Most of the dumping kits Ive seen do not have that long of a stroke on the ram anyway, so using one from a large floor jack may work great, and they are rated for 3-4 tons, I would never be hauling close to that much, even with the weight of the bed itself figured in. I have looked at the dumper kits installed and I could fabricate all of the parts and hinge the bed like they do, just have to figure a way to have the crank accessible? Im sure someone has thought of this before, and yeah, I realize it may be a bit "rigged", but all I care about is if it raises the bed and dumps the crap from it. Who cares if that means I must spend 5 minutes cranking a handle? Thanks guys.

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Thats the worst idea I think I have ever heard in my life.

3. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel dumber just for reading that!

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

its a close second to electing obama.

5. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I made a dumping flat bed once by using a electric/hydrolic unit off of a Meyer snowplow. just flipped a switch to raise it. Mine accually had a lever that locked the bed down..when you pushed the lever to unlock bed it triggered the switch to raise. I'll tell you thou..I would never attempt again as it was a lot of work. finding the right pivot point- getting everything to work right- greasable pivot bushings- ect.. Geno

6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

After looking around online, I found some places that sell these, they are not much cheaper than the powered ones though at about $950.!! It comes with the same hardware as the powered ones but has a place for a hand crank.

7. petroskie

petroskie LawnSite Senior Member

you really want to work that hard? Work smarter not harder