1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this power washer good enough?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by keepoffthegrass, Apr 24, 2005.

1. keepoffthegrass

keepoffthegrass LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Hi, i am 15 and currently have 17 accounts and one commercial account (and counting rapidly) and would like to expand as much as i can this year before i start up a real business next year when i get my license and truck. Anyways I have had numerous people, 1 restaurant and the chiropractic's office ask about power washing so i have decide to buy a power washer. The one I am looking at is a Kodiak 3000psi Honda 6.5 GX (red one) and it pumps out 2.5 gpm.. My question- is this good enough for light commercial use? I would like the 11HP 3500psi one but 1000 cdn for the 6.5 is already maxing out my budget. I will be doing lots of houses and stores/business's with it. I have attached a picture of the one I'm looking at. Also would doorhangers with my estimates written on them be the ideal marketing campaign, beings as i can only do this locally this year. (confined to tractor and trailer)

2. keepoffthegrass

from Ontario

any input on these washers? would like to know before i go and buy. Thanks.
  3. Houston's

Houston's LawnSite Member

i was told to go with an 3200-3500..i am looking into the same thing. :help:
  4. keepoffthegrass

from Ontario

At first i was thinking 3500 but now that I have priced around I am more attracted to the price tag on this 3000psi one. I'm only 15 (16 in 2 weeks) and i need to keep my overhead costs to a minimum and profits maximum because i am trying to expand and save for when i go to the professional level (hopefully next year). I'm saving for a truck right now and plan to buy back back blower and some other 2stroke toys this year and next spring finance a ZTR or 36 walker to replace the 42" craftsmen i just made my last payment on. (still deciding which one, would love BOTH!) have a 16' hallmark enclosed sitting in the driveway at my disposal :) anyway im starting to rampble off topic.. anyone into the powerwashing business that can help Houston and me out?
  5. Scottish LScape

Scottish LScape LawnSite Member

Get the 3000psi unit unless your going to power wash daily & spend the extra $$ on other things you'll need. WE power wash 20-30hrs a week for the first 2 months of the Spring season. The unit we have was purchased from Northern Tool 3 years ago, and it's still going strong (just keep up on the maintenance) Good Luck!

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

1 800 333 wash.com
  7. Scottish LScape

Scottish LScape LawnSite Member

Here is the 1 we have!

8. keepoffthegrass

from Ontario

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to go with the 3000psi one. What is the going rate for a 1 or 2 story house? does 70 - 100 sound right?
  9. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Price is low in my opinion. Our Avg is $180 for 1 story...... $250 - $300 for 2 story....that is avg. (now that does include brushing outside of the gutters). All depends on how high, is the home square or cut up, doghouses on roof. I try to figure $80 / hr.
    Friend of mine was washing houses with his Dad 30 years ago & getting $100 so you have to figure more than that. It's hard work . Don't sell yourself short.

Also check out spraymall.com for good prices as well. They ship. That's where I got mine. I would get a CAT pump or General Pump if you can afford it. Belt drive is better also, but pump is more important. All others are inferior (told to me by Equipment Rental place here...not trying to sell me one either. :) )
  10. derek1

derek1 LawnSite Member

I am looking into power washing myself. I am going to start by renting different commercial equipment from local vendors just to see what I would want to purchase for myself, by renting I can be as hard on the rented equipment as I want to see what does or does not work for me.