Is this quote in the money?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Grzube, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

Hey there guys, we just started to get onto hardscaping, one of our customers has a uni-stone driveway, and at the end by the cement curb, there 2 dips, the size is 20x10 ft, will need to remove all the stone, re-level and compact, reinstall, I quoted $495, so in or out of the money?
  2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

I would have been around 6-800
  3. dchauling

dchauling LawnSite Member

We charge $6 sq ft for a re-lay. So $1200 for us or we walk, and that is in money tight Winnipeg. Out of around 20 re-lays we only lost 3 or 4 we bid on last year. Just sell yourself right.
  4. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

The original estimate was around $1100, I figured it would take about 12-15 hours solo @$65/hr, but we want to build up a reputation in this area, the next estimate will be higher.
  5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Just be aware that if you are removing brick from the center of the driveway, you may have one he!! of a time getting the brick to go exactly in place where it was intended. If you are removing from center to end it won't be so bad, but if in the middle, watch out.
  6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Do it for $900
  7. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

We get between $8 and $10 per SF for relay work. Our price minimum for 200 SF would have been $1,600.00. You will get a reputaion for sure........CHEAP! Definitely not a reputation you want in this business.

Don't start with a reputation for being the cheapest or you will always be known as the cheapest. I would rather be known for being a little expensive but good & worth the $$
  8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Perhaps you need to excavate and install a new, thicker base.
  9. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

Thanks guys!, from now on I will estimate at $10-15/sqft.
  10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

So, the original estimate was $1100, and you are doing it for $495?
    Man, you gave away ALOT of money. Just think what you can buy with $600.... Hopefully lesson learned from that one!