Is this really a Cat?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirty Water, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

It looks more a Komatsu?

Does Cat have other companys build their greymarket rigs?
  2. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

They guy might have repainted it but I've seen several guys around here with older CAT zts excavators that look the same.
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Its the 3 piece boom that made me wonder. I'm still excavator shopping, so I check the local listings every few days.
  4. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Oh well I think they made two booms the one pictured is off[-set boom which is very popular in China, Japan, ext. It digs a square hole just like the other but instead of the stick moving side to side by the cab it does it up top.
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, that'a grey. Any Cat excavator that says "REGA" on it is a grey. Plus, the little blue sticker with yellow Japanese symbols and the smiley face is slapped on just about all grey market machines, that's a dead giveaway.
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I think the machine is orginally a Mitsubushi with a Cat name essentially the same machine you can tell it has the red stripe on it. I agree with Scag its a grey market machine.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You are not seriously considering buying a gray market machine are you?
    Hopefully you realize the potential problems you could face by doing that.
  8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Would you mind telling us?
  9. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

in my area you see a lot of grey market machines, guys dont really have problems getting parts for them. Some of the dealers ***** about it being a grey market machine but they still get you what you need, their just mad you don't have a machine from them.
  10. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

My Komatsu is a grey market machine and I have had no problem getting parts for it. My dealer has helped me each time with no problem.