1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this really bad money?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GreenMonster, Aug 11, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Ok, I'm doing a retaining wall. My wife says, what are YOU making on this job.

So, I tell her about $1000/day.

Now, I'm running my 1 ton dump for stone (can only bring in a few yards at a time), skid steer, and mini excavator. Plus all the hand tools, compactor, and cut-off saw.

$1000 a day (maybe a little less) is after all job expenses -- block, aggregate stone, plants, mulch, etc. Also includes salary for helper. This $1000 figure doesn't include gas, equipment overhead and all that other stuff too.

Just as I was about to say, "not bad money", she says "not good money" ????:confused:

Now, we all know women are nearly impossible to please when it comes to the check book, but really, I thought $1000/day was fairly respectable. Where would you realistically like to be at the end of the day on a job like this? Remember, we ain't planting daisys. We're humping block and stone all day.

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

$1000 a day AFTER expenses? I'd say you were doing incredible!
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

What happened to my post?

Well I'll do it again.
    If your wife doesn't think it's good money tell her to try and match it.
    I think for 2 people you did real well.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You happy with the amount and think its good money? If Yes why would you even care what anyone else thinks. and if your awnser is no then raise your price to where you can say yes.

5. RedRock

RedRock LawnSite Member

Two words: P.M.S.
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Two words????:confused: :D
  7. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

There is no such thing as bad money. All money is good.
  8. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Look at it this way...

1K a is good if your working 5 days a week, 4 weeks a month and 12 months a year.

Most likely your not, so if you go a few days between jobs or dont work on rainy days then you must take that money out of what you made on the 1k day.

Dont forget you gotta take taxes out, health insurance, retirement and many other hidden expenses

Its all how you budget your time and money,
  9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

How does 1,000 a day compare with the money you would be making if you didn't have the retaining wall job?
    I certainly can't make that in a day's mowing, so I would consider that to be pretty darn good money.
    I looked at your website. Good looking retaining wall there, what a difference from before to after.
  10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I don't care what EVERYONE else thinks, but there are a lot of guys on this site that have been doing this longer than me. Just curious where some other folks would like to be with a job like this.