is this reasonable for leaf work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowisme, Oct 13, 2007.

1. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple accounts that I'm not sure how to charge on leaves. I know 'hourly' has been talked about..but I was wondering mainly on this one: good customer/ very small lot. I was thinking of charging the normal mow- plus $4/bag that needs to be bagged. I can mow one direction and blow most into woods on back yard (small) but front would be bagged. The $4/bag covers my extra labor & time & bag cost/leaf removal (big bags). The $35 is there weather I mow or not..still would rake or blow if not mowing. This sound fair? example $35 + 3 bags = $47 chge. thanks- Geno

2. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

sounds good to me. we use walker ghs mower and it is a pain to find somewhere to leave the leaves. by bagging them at the site and leaving them there sounds like the way to go:rolleyes:

3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

by the sounds of it your new to fall cleanups. bite the bullet, guess how many bags it will take, tack on a bit extra since your always short and give the customer a price.when your all done see how you did. that is how you learn from yoru prices.

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Don't worry next year you will be a lot better at pricing after doing all the work this year and learning the ropes of fall cleanups.

5. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

thanks gang..will keep record on what I fill..and calculate it into cost next year. yes..This is only 2nd fall clean-up. Geno

6. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to be charging more per bag, the cost of bags alone will cost u .50 each, and if ur using cheap thin bags you will lose even more in time lost due to ripping of bags.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I can't comment on what to charge but you will want to keep a clock on your experience. Bagging anything in a plastic bag takes time. It is also a PITA to do.
    If you absolutely have to put stuff in plastic bags you should be getting paid good money to do it.

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I think youll end up shorting yourself income doing it that way....thats just my opinion. But the only way to know is to try it a couple of ways and keep your time....see how different ways compare.

9. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Ok you are going to mow in one direction to get to the woods. Remember you will be making quite a few return trips going over where you already have blown the leaves the other way. Hence you are going over your same tracks while accomplishing no work while going in that direction. Charge for you time for that too.

JP