Is this ridiculous or is it me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by workaholic, Mar 11, 2004.

1. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Bid a cemetary at 495.00 for 10 hours of mowing, trimming. about 3 acres and 300 head stones and chain link around the whole property. 1 employee at 10.00 an hour = 100.00. supervisor calls and said your bid was ridiclous, he told me if i wanted to bid it next year i should think about bidding lower. That blew my mind i thought if anyone is that cheap they can have it. So my question is. Was it to high? I did not even ask what the low bid was...
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you should send him a letter with the expenses that it costs you per hour to operate your business. Also have in the letter that you hope that the LCO that was hired has liability, workers comp, and is licensed as a business.

10 hours, heck I would have charged $600.
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont agree . I will not try to explain to a customer my rates. If they dont life my quote, tough cookies. On to the next.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am not saying that I would take them on as a customer even if they still asked me after I sent the letter, but its a nice letter basically telling him that he's crazy to think that I can bid the property less than $495 to make a profit and cover costs.

It might help out the next guy coming along
  5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I think I would of been lower but I also don't see 3 acres taking 10 man hours. So perhaps your times were off that said your braver then me I don't think I would have bid sounds like a mega head ack. Id rather cut 25 acres that are open for that price then do all that trimming.
  6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, I dont think 3 acres of head stones would take 10 hours to cut..... Its alot of weed whackin granted, but 2 guys weed whackin, an one guy mowin, it shouldn't take 10 hours. Once the guy is done mowin he gets a weed whacker an does the fence line. Should all be done at the same time....
  7. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

Workaholic last year I bid a cemetery down in Waynesburg. This place was a mess headstones every which way a total nightmare. I gave the price and they basically did the same thing. These older cemetery's are hard strapped for money and want it down for nothing. Maybe they are trying to kill you so they will make money lol who knows. Your bid was fine maybe low be happy you did not get it trust me would have been more trouble then pleasure.
  8. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

A cemetary would make me coo coo!
  9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

3 acres of tomb stones and head stones. You guys are nuts. That would take a one man crew every bit of 10 hours in my estimation. You could barely run a mower in between all the clutter. You'd be there for HOURS with a line trimmer.

I'd guess 10 hours of work is about right.

DFW Area Landscaper
  10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

You bein in buisness for a year, I guess you have done many cemetary's huh?