Is This Right?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Apr 1, 2005.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Is this what you guys pay that don't do them yourselves?

I was in one of my local eXmark dealers this week ordering a part for a trimmer and while I was standing there while he looked it up I happened to look at their "Labor Rate Chart". Even though they have worked on some of my stuff before I had never really noticed all of their shop rates. Now I don't know because I do all mine in house, but they showed $6 to sharpen blades off the mower and $7.50 to to remove and sharpen ones on the mower.

That seemed high to me as you can nearly buy a brand new standard blade for about the same amount.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

One dealer around here charges $5 per blade. Regular price to buy a standard blade is around $10-$11, however, I stumbled across about 20 hi-lift blades last fall for $4 apiece. At that price you can just use them and throw them away if you want...

3. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I always sharpen my own. The time you spend to take them to the shop, you can resharpen them and reinstall.

My dealer told me last year that the blade manufacturer of the mulching blades recommends that they shouldn't be resharpened at all BUT replaced. Ya, right. Like I'm gonna put new blades on every week.