1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this safe?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jf69, Jan 14, 2013.

1. jf69

jf69 LawnSite Member

MY trailer is sitting a little higher at the tongue.. a friend gave this trailer to me and was gonna use it this coming year.

2. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

More likely to bottom out. Get a drop hitch if your really worried.
  3. z71tiger

z71tiger LawnSite Senior Member

I preferred my trailer to sit this way so my mower wouldn't bottom out. Never had a problem.
  4. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

spend the couple bucks and get a drop hitch trailer should sit level or be lower in front. nose up causes trailer sway
  5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Drop hitch for me too.
  6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Get a drop hitch. I read somewhere that you want the front of the trailer to be just below level.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

Drop hitch is no more than $40 at any auto parts store. You want it level, or just nose down in the front. Remember to load it properly (evenly) and she will tow great.
  8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Should be fine as long as you have good tongue weight and it's not scraping. I run my trailer like that, but not quite so much, to reduce the gate angle. I back my Z rider in since the rear is heavier and that gives some tongue weight.
  9. jf69

jf69 LawnSite Member

the truck has a pintle/ball hitch bolted to plate, its not a slide in reciever. i have never seen a drop hitch for that type.
  10. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

Look on the plate where it is mounted you maybe one of the lucky ones that offered an extra set of holes lower to mount to.