Is this Scag worth $900 ??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by THEoneandonlyLawnRanger, Sep 29, 2006.

1. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Trying to decide if this walkbehind is worth 900 bucks, thats what the reserve is set at, keep in mind it has around 2000 hours on it which im thinking is alot for a 2001 model, just would use it as a back up type mower it is close enough to pick up from my house so i wouldnt have to pay for shipping, He says everything works good on it, good pumps, no leaks, runs strong? The hours scare me, but the price tempts me to buy. What do you guys think ?

LINK TO MOWER.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-Scag-61-Ad...4QQihZ019QQcategoryZ71272QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Watch the auction ... see if anyone bids up to $900. Many times sellers will not give you the reserve unless they fear that it may not reach that amount.

I sell on eBay from time to time (totally unrelated items to this business) ... so the first thing I did after I checked out the mower was to check on the things he has sold on eBay before. He sold a car, and a Scag ZTR. It appears to me that he is kind of rough on his equipment, and didn't keep it as maintained as well as I would. But then ... that doesn't mean it isn't in good working order ... or that the price wouldn't warrant it as a good back up machine.

If no one gets over the $900. mark ... email him and offer him either his highest bid, or maybe $800., which ever is the higher. If he sold the ZTR, he is probably wanting to unload the WB too.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The Scag units is a very solid built machine. Engines can be replaced for $600 if it is 15hp and 18hp is a little more. The clutch is around $300. A new 36" hydro will sell for over $5k next year so you can buy a lot of parts.

4. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Thats very good advice to look at the sellers previous buy's and sell's i learned that the hard way. I bought a nice laptop for 500 bucks and the day i recieved it i gave the seller good feedback and happen to look at his previous items and it was the laptop........he bought it for 100 bucks because it was broken, But i'll give the guy credit, everything works fine on the PC, so i guess he knew what he was doing to fix it. I dont know if i would have bought it though if i had seen that previously though.

5. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Save the money and Buy New or Slightly Used that you can test before you buy it.