Is this scale? - picture

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bob, Nov 24, 2009.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

This looks like scale to me, but I'd like a second opinion.

lou 010.jpg

2. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

Nope not scale its actually lichens on the trunk of the tree and wont hurt the tree either

3. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Kevin M. It's harmless.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it is lichens, which is an air breathing plant that is only on the tree for support. But it sets up the correct environment for algae to grow under it, which will hurt the bark and Kill the tree after many years. It should be treated with Copper Sulfate.

5. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

You may consider drip irr. if it has sprays or rotors. You also have two crosser branches I see that may need to come out. More light and air and no overhead water may help it in the future. like Ric said about the algae...them two have a simbiosis style love connection. You may just be able to wait til its dry and rub it off with steel wool or metal brush on a handle or drill. normally it grows rather slow.

6. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

Ric your right on with that and I also forgot to mention about phytophora root rot will break out in this tree since the lichens are growing on it and when they appear the plant doesnt dry out.

Is this a yew or some type of yew plant ?

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Gunsnroses

Why not just Cut it off with a chain saw????? You couldn't do too much more damage with a Chain Saw than a power wire wheel or steel wool.

Lichen is a Epiphyte or air breathing plant which Algae, Spanish Moss and Bromeliads and even Orchids are also part of. However Lichen and algae are single cell organisms that live in groups if the environment is right. Any time you see Algae growing on a plant, it should be chemically treated right away with Cooper Sulfate. It should be retreated until in turns a darker color to show control. It is best not to try and Mechanically remove it because it attaches itself to bark and removing it is removing the Bark.

8. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

LOL Ric I was thinking maybe use a jackhammer

9. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

At first I thought that maybe lichens were possibly harmful in the south. Here in the northeast they are not. But after reading the websites posted, I am confused about the need to control lichens.

These quotes are from those websites:
    NOT HARMFUL Since lichens are almost always found on weak plants, do lichens cause the plants to become sick? In fact, lichens are totally harmless and in no way responsible for the poor state of any tree or shrub. They are simply indicators of the infirm health of the plant. As a woody plant loses vigor, the number and size of its leaves gradually decrease. This allows more sunlight on the trunk and lower branches. As soon as enough light is available on the bark, lichens begin to colonize it.

If lichens are unsightly to you, the best way to reduce their numbers is to increase the health of the plant
    .Control in the home landscape is usually not
    necessary. If lichens become too unsightly or abundant, they can usually be brushed off stems or tree trunks with a stiff brush when the lichens are dry

So, why are they of concern down there?