Is this slander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ALLFERRIS, Apr 2, 2004.

1. ALLFERRIS

ALLFERRIS LawnSite Member

I may not be the best in my community, but Im much better than many other companys. My question is, when I see a company cutting a property and I know I would do a better, more professional job, Is it wrong for me to approach the homeowner and, not "bad mouth" the other company, but ask them if they are happy with the work and if they would be interested in an estimate?

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

No it is not slander. However, if you are approaching the homeowner while the other company is there mowing, thats quite ballsy in my opinion.

3. ALLFERRIS

I agree with you, I was planning on stopping after their lawn had been cut and after I had recently cut one of mine near by so they would be able to look at my work. Thanks

4. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

I'd have no problem doing that....If I can offer better quality at a better price I'd want
    all the local community to know about it.....As a matter of fact My pre season flyers say " Better Quality / Better Prices....Why use anybody else".....(I also have references right on the flyger so they can go see the quality).......My
    after May 10 flyers has the same line but preceeding it , it says : "Switch and save" because I'm assuming that most people who want lawn care have already hooked up w/ somebody by then.....This year I'm hoping to do the more direct approach that you are using...I just have to make sure I have enough trained crews out to handle all the extra work I'm going to get....I'm mainly going to solicit jobs close to our existing clients to maximize efficiency and productivity.

5. ALLFERRIS

I like your idea about post May 10 "switch and save" flyers, I might borrow your idea if you don't mind. It just frustrates me that some people don't realize they can and should get better service for their money.
    Do you have any problems with other companys getting mad and giving yourself a reputation of taking other peoples work? (not that it will stop me!)

6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Koehn, I'm no lawyer, but I'd say yer in the clear. On the other hand, don't just low-ball. If they really are doing shotty work, and over-charging, go for it. Be careful you don't get into the no - profit zone, if in fact you are willing to do the work for less. And for heaven sakes, don't believe the home - owner when they tell you what the other is charging. They have been known to lie or play a game when they know someone wants their business!

7. ALLFERRIS

I know what you mean ******, Thanks. I've already had a homeowner tell me what the other company was charging and either they were lying or getting the work they were paying for(they told me 25.00 and I quoted them 35.00 which was more than fair I thought, I didn't get the job, but didn't mind)

8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I go to all the houses that are cut with a 36 or higher. That saves you the time of going door to door.

9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Koehn.......I look at it like this....If you can do a better job than the current lco, show them! Get the neighbors yard, an slaughter the lco's that are cuttin next door.

I dont take accounts from anyone...I wouldn't even try. I try to do the best job I can with the accounts I have. Now the accounts I have, have led to me picking up the neighbors, cause the current lco just aint cuttin it!! (pun intended)......

Dont lower yourself to chasin other peoples accounts......Not worth it. Let em come to you!!

10. ALLFERRIS

Good point, I love the pun!