Is this slope too steep for a ZTR ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bryant lawn & landscape, Jul 2, 2008.

1. bryant lawn & landscape

bryant lawn & landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'll be bidding on a job soon. If I get the contract, part of the work would include mowing a large, sloping hill (pictured). My largest mower right now is a Quick 44 from BOP ( obviously not the right mower for this hill ). While I know I'll need a larger mower, I'm not sure what would work out best. Since I already have 2 smaller walk behinds, I would prefer to purchase a ZTR with about a 60" deck. However, after reading several threads on the danger of mowing hills with a ZTR, I'm starting to lean more towards a 52 or 60" walk behind. Any thoughts? Would I be safe with a ZTR? -Thanks.

-Also, I had heard that the guy that was mowing before did so with a ZTR, but for all I know, he's still underneath it in the river below. :dizzy:

prop 1.jpg

prop 2.jpg

prop 3.jpg

prop 4.jpg

prop 5.jpg

2. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

A ztr should handle that hill with no problems at all. If you do seem to slide down when going across, go up and down the hill.

3. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Does'nt look too steep at all even for a ZTR. And is probably in the safe zone for the engine.

Just be careful and learn the tricks when going downhill and watch for holes and bumps when going sideways. Some mowers crab more than others.

If you want to use a WB make sure you get one with dual hydro's.

4. aird208

aird208 LawnSite Member

From the looks of it, I think you would be fine running a ZTR on that hill.

5. pondfishr

pondfishr LawnSite Member

you have two choices. A 4x4 Kubota tractor fel and finish mower. Or find a dixie chopper runbehind "stander model" Its awesome on slopes!! 27hp generac engine. Either should do the job but the Dixie Chopper Runbehind is safer and faster. I have owned both.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Any ZTR should be able to cut that slope with ease.

7. JacksonLawns

JacksonLawns LawnSite Member

that doesn't look too steep at all. I have cut steeper with a Scag and Exmark Lazer Z which both held hills good. Those are the only two that I have had experience with. My father in law has a residential Cub Cadet from Lowes/Home Depot that won't hold a hill at all and I think it would hold that incline (it would be close). I can't imagine any commercial ztr that would have problems with that hill.

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

these are his only two choices??? its comments like these that make me not want to come on here anymore, like richard martin said, any ztr will work. if by any chance it starts to slide down, which it shouldnt looking at the slope, there is no danger area at the bottom, such as trees, lake, cliff, etc. i would get a 60" ztr. you'll be amazed how many smaller lawns you can fit it in

9. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

agree, agree, agree.

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup exactly.