is this smart business, or is it, taking advantage?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 28, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

where i live, in the better part of jersey, most towns have roadside leaf pickup. you simply blow the leaves to the curb, and the township comes by and sucks them up. they give u a schedule, and if u don't have the leaves out by that day, they wont come back. well, today i'm finishing up one of my clients, and the neighbor 5 houses down walks over. he says he has a lawnguy, but, the guy never showed up to clean leaves. he needs the leaves done, and today is the last day for pickup. so, i says to myself, "hmmm, seems like an opportunity to make some easy cash." i quoted him like 3 times the normal rate. HE BIT! WAS IT TAKING ADVANTAGE? OR WAS IT, AS USUAL, SMART BUSINESS ON MY PART?

2. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

good work, would have done the same thing....

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I think you are slipping. the old master bobby would have sold the leaf job, a fert program and weekly mowing paid in advance.

GEO :waving:

4. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

How could anybody afford 3 times YOUR normal rate without some type of financing program? Did he need to put a lein on his house?

5. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

n/m changed what i had

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Supply and Demand.....so long as it did not screw up your regular schedule or piss off your full time clients, why not.....Plumbers do it. try calling a plumber on a weekend. talk about some ripoffs.

I needed a 1" main line fixed at my house. Copper work. I had the hole dug. All the sob had to do was climb in sweat the copper and go home. they wanted 400 bucks....so I waited until monday and call my irrigation guy to come out. cost me case of beer and carton of marlboro reds.....and no water for a day...

7. BALDEAGLE

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

I'd have done the same- last minute or supposed emergency gigs pay accordingly...same in most any service industry, no?

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i believe you are comming along nicely, officer. you are thinking like a true professional. problem is, thinking like one, and being one, are 2 different things. anyhow, funny u should mention this, after i humped him out of his dough, he asked to be put on the snow schedule, for an obscene fortune of course.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

every now and again one finds a gold mine by chance...

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Only 3 times the normal rate? You're getting soft in your older years my friend.:p Good move btw...