1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this smart scheduling?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, May 12, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I have a girlfriend whose husband does lawncare/light landscaping. Well he saves all of his mowing accounts for Thursday and Friday, and maybe half of Saturday.
    Early in the week, he sits around, does some estimates, does some mulching, hedge trimming etc, equipment repairs etc........
    If it rains at the end of the week, then he is really screwed up.
    I told her that she needs to get him to change his scheduling some, but she says he insists, that his customers need their Friday cuts. I say he should be cutting Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday instead and to heck with the Friday cuts.

Do you think it's smart to save all of your mowing till the end of the week?
    I'll print out the responses and show them to her.
  2. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Do you mean this is a girl who happens to be your friend or she is really your girlfriend who is also married????????????
  3. 1MajorTom

I have a friend who happens to be a girl... Her husband........
    Is that better?
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmm, I didn't know Bobbygedd also did "light landscaping". And you'd better be careful with his wife, he looks pretty big.
  5. 1MajorTom

Exactly!!! He's the same way. This thread may even benefit him also. :)
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

We do. Thursday and Friday are residential mow days. They rather have it nice for the weekend and take the chance it may turn into Saturday or Monday mowing if it rains. I explain it to everyone and it really doesn't happen too often. We don't start earlier in the week even if rain is forecast. We have other things going and I will never waste another day playing the guessing game with mother nature.
  7. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

Of course that is no smart. You don't need us to tell you that as you are already well aware of it. Mother Nature will have her way with all seven days of the week. Now answer me this, what does he do when it rains Thursday, Friday and Saturday? Probably sit around some more, I guess.
  8. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We do most of our mowing in the middle of the week, this way we have a little room for rain and also take advantage of the good weather at the time, but we do have those customers who insist that we cut at the end of the week, they are fully aware what happens if it rains on their day ( it gets bumped to next convenient day we have ):D
  9. 1MajorTom

He's been doing this now for as long as I can remember. Since at least 1990 maybe even longer. Yes, he sits around on those days, and gets backed up. This thread won't change how he runs his business though, just thought I would show it to him.
  10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We mow Mon-Fri with Friday being our easiest day, nobody wants to work Saturdays if they don't have to.