Is this strong enough for a Mowing truck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pattytastik, Feb 8, 2012.

1. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 5x8 trailer and an exmark 36, a couple of 21s and weedwackers, blowers etc. Would this truck be able to efficiently pull all of that?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2808063491.html

I really like the mileage (duh) and it apparently gets around 23 highway mpg, and I need to commute from Philly to Binghamton NY pretty frequently so I am looking for fuel efficiency. The fact that it's 2wd doesn't really matter that much since I don't do snow removal.

2. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Ditch the tall tires and it will be fine. No phone number. You sure that ad is for real.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. klcjustin

klcjustin LawnSite Member

It will get the job done for that size trailer and set up. Not fast by any means. I would take those tires off and get regular tires. You will have no room for expansion or if you decide to get into larger loads to carry.

4. pattytastik

How would smaller tires affect anything? I really like the tires and rims lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

You should be fine with that truck. My son pulled a setup like you are describing with a '85 Honda Accord with no problems. The larger than stock tires changes the rear end ratio casuing the engine to be less powerful. If you get the truck and it seems doggy try putting stock tires on it. One thing though, if it is an automatic you may experience early failure from towing with oversized tires. If it is a stick you may have problems with the clutch.

6. weesa20

weesa20 LawnSite Member

will be fine but lame that it is 2wd drive w/ offroad suspension and those tires

7. pattytastik

Yeah I hear what you all are saying. I guess I'll just stick with my Dodge Dakota 4x4

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

You might think about saving up for a Tacoma. They are pretty tough trucks and get decent economy.

9. pattytastik

Yeah I would love to get a tacoma, they get amazing economy and they last a lifetime. Except the price is very steep.

10. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Those tires are going to wear your bearing lot quicker :waving::waving:

4e00_3.jpg