Is this sufficent?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagman, Apr 13, 2002.

1. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

I had back surgery on Dec 10th 2001, things arent going so well. I have a real hard time out there and my body gets tired fast. I havent turned down any jobs I just figure out a way to do them without straining the back, but thats not always possible. I feel like im not letting my back heal. Im thinkling of hiring a guy, but not sure its the right move. I have (30) mowing accounts and my equipment is: 2000 Ford F-250 XL, 2001 6.5 X 12 Landscape trailer, 36"Bobcat belt drive, 32"Scag belt drive, 21 Ariens (swivel wheels), 21"Yard machines, Sthil FC 75 stick edger, Echo SRM 2100, Stihl BR 400 blower, Weedeater 22" hedge trimmer. Is all this ok for two guys, or should I wait until I can pickup more accounts and better mowers?

2. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

I say if it helps your back to heal faaster , do it at least untill you can get back into the shape you were in.

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at your profile. If you are only 19 and having back problems, you really need to reconsider your line of work. Or at least set up your business so employees do most of the work.

You just can't keep working with a hurt back. It will only get worse and by the time you are 40 you'll be toast.

I'm 28 and have had back trouble for two years now. It is nothing to play with. Take it seriously, the rest and relaxation you need now is worth way more $ than any money you will earn working.

Best of luck and please be careful!

Ken

4. scagman

Yes, I am 18 and I was rear ended feb 2 2001 driving my girlfriends Saturn. I had posterior fusion done on my L5 S1 level. I thinks thats it.

5. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Please do not mess with your back, it is not something that you can hope will just go away, you have to live with it the rest of your life. I look at my dad who is 59 and has had back problems all his life, he has had about four or five surgerys on it since he was 17. I have got a bad back already from injuries from another job that i had when i was younger and it does not feel very good. But back to the question, i would try to hire someone part or full time, depeneding on what you can afford to do until your back gets better. but like i said don't push the limits of your back.

hope you get well
    kevin
    williams lawn management

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

at 19 u had best take a yr off that back.give the operation a chance to work.we got to do what we got to do.dont get the mortgage paid ,but u dont get but one back.

7. scagman

Taking time off, turning down big jobs is something that I cannot do. I have a one year old son and another one on the way, a girlfriend (the Mother) and a house (renting) Last year, my first year at this I only made $20,000. I have to double that if were gonna get anywhere this year, buy a house ect.............

8. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

I'd say hire someone to give you a hand this season. I understand that you can't afford to turn away clients so I don't see what other choice you have.

Unless you can find away to take time off, I would say hire a guy to help you for 2 or 3 days a week and let him do all the heavy lifting. If you can run a walk behind with out much trouble then leave the trimming and hedges to the help for this season. It will cut your income back this year but if it gets worse you might need to go for more operations.

best of luck

9. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Hire someone, do alot of supervision, GROW (with steady accounts)..... and hire more employees as needed.

10. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

sharpen the sales skills and become a true contractor. you can get the accounts and let someone else service them. your back will be allot better off, although you butt may get bigger