1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this Sun damage - If not then what?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rgn2001, Jul 30, 2007.

1. rgn2001

rgn2001 LawnSite Member

I have a continual problem with my lawn. The pictures attached are constantly in the sun and on a hill facing the sun no less.

I use the Scotts Step 4 program for the past 4 years. I do not have a sprinkler system, but this area gets water almost everyday by either rain or a sprinkler. Now I am not expecting a "perfect" lawn, but to me this sucks.

The worst part of it is everyone on the street tells me I have the best lawn, and I just don't see it.

Any help would be appreciated. What can I do to limit this? Can this be rectified?

100_1068 (Medium).JPG

100_1069 (Medium).JPG

100_1065 (Medium).JPG

100_1064 (Medium).JPG
  2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ill swap your lawn for a dozen i put in this year that is 10 times worse due to heat. The small amount of brown you have is yes from the heat. But dont sweat it your in good shape.
  3. rgn2001

rgn2001 LawnSite Member

I appreciate that, but how much watering will prevent this? It doesn't seem like I can possibly water enough yet other people have the nicest green lawns.
  4. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

try watering for like 2 hours every 3 days this will help the roots grow down to get water watering everday for like 15-20 minutes the roots can stay right above the ground and the suns heat is more damaging. the deeper the roots grow the stronger the grass will be. pluse what hight are you cutting at? but the lawn is fine it looks great to me i wouldnt complain:waving:
  5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

We had a lawn that started looking like that and before we could address the problem those brown spots had turned to divets. I decided it was a water problem because the owner left the place and my son would mow and water it for her at his convenience. Not enough for the last couple of summers.
    Your slope looks steep enough that water may easily run down the hill more than soak into the ground. Even in my best irrigated lawns the slope still look bad. Perhaps core aeration would help that now.
  6. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

looks like brown spot fungus to me. we have had it bad here this year.
  7. rgn2001

rgn2001 LawnSite Member

I am not sure on how high I am cutting it, but I am not cutting too low. I have a basic craftsman mower and I have it set almost to the highest level. It is one notch away.
  8. rgn2001

rgn2001 LawnSite Member

If this is something new to this year, it can't be because my lawn looks like this every year. But assuming you are right what do you do to get rid of it?

9. tomflan947

tomflan947 LawnSite Member

It looks like you are over watering your lawn. some of that is just thatch build up. do not water everyday because the roots will not get strong and there is more of a chance of fungus and disiese promblems. water 2 to 3 times a week for a long time to let water get deep into the soil. try and put down some fungus and disiese control in the summer.
  10. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like some dead thatch and over watering. Do you bag your clippings? And try watering only 2 or 3 days a week. That should be more than enough.