Is this the best place to have your soil tested??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bluelude1, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Bluelude1

Bluelude1 LawnSite Member

I have quite a large property I maintain & was looking at having some samples tested at the Scotts Testing Lab. I want to make sure I have enough information to put together the most effective game plan possible, but I am a little confused about what I need to have tested, as well as how many different composite samples I would need for the size area I am dealing with?

Is this a good place to get your soil tested & do they offer the main tests you would need ?

These are the tests they offer:
    # Water Testing (I think this one is probably a must)
    # Growing Media Testing ( I believe this is for potting soil so I probably do need it)
    # Mineral Soil Testing (Would need this to determine fertilizer and micro nutrients)

Below are the specs on the property I am trying to get sorted out

Lawn - (3-4 acres mix of small areas & large open areas) currently has common & tifton 10 bermuda w/ some fescue in heavily shaded areas.
    Planters - (15 -20,000+ sqft total) has the traditional mix of shrubs, roses, & annuals.

Honestly the shear size, the mix of soil types (existing & what was brought in for construction), & types of planters (Raised retaining walls & native dirt level) is what is throwing me for a loop (there are 25 sprinkler zones alone). Any assistance helping me get my head wrapped around this would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached some pics if that helps any.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance,
    Dane

2. Hortus

Hortus LawnSite Member

Try your local Cooperative Extension. Access to lab testing to accomodate your needs, at a fair nominal fee without bias.
    Advice to other questions, that you might have is free.

3. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Just make sure that they let you know if your water sample is compatable with their Water Saver Fertilizer.

4. grasscrabber

grasscrabber LawnSite Member

I believe Servi-Tech has a location in Amarillo.