Is this the rite thing to do???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, May 1, 2004.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I was asked to patch up some spots on a customers lawn and some other odd jobs that require some supplies from the home depot. I was thinking of how to bill him. I would go to homedepot, pick up the soil and seeds that i need. (actual price) and then just charge him for my hourly rate? (45.00 an hour) on top of the actual bill from homedepot. Is that what you guys do? Any feedback would help. thanks!
  2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

It will take you time and gas to go to homedepot. Charge for that with adding about 25 -35 % markup on the supplies.
  3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

THanks for the reply...I guess i should do that..
  4. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

It's always a judgment call. And the correct answer in my area may not be the same in your area.

If I'm buying supplies from a retail outlet any of my customers can go to, I charge the price I paid, but also for the time it took to get the stuff. I may even attach a copy of the receipt to the bill I send.

If I'm buying from a supplier who gives a pro discount, I charge retail. But I will usually also figure the time picking up the stuff into the bid. Unless it is materials I buy for several jobs at once, like the edging material I buy in bulk.

So I might make a little more on jobs where I can get materials at a discount.

One of the most irritating customers I ever had was a bigshot with WalMart. Their general offices are here in my area. This couple ALWAYS picked up everything I would need for a job, probably because they didn't want me to get a mark-up. The guy was high up enough in the company that he could get buyers to order stuff especially for him that Walmart doesn't normally sell. They also were one of the few customers I ever had that demanded I re-do some work they weren't satisfied with. I have very high standards myself, and didn't see a thing wrong with it. No longer work for them.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do yourself a favor, if you are going to service multiple customers, this is what i do: i keep a 50 lb sack of seed in the shop at all times. if you know u have clients that need "patch" jobs, next time u need topsoil for a job, keep some extra in the truck, go to the clients who need patch ups and do it. the soil is paid for over and over, and that $70 sack of seed brings in some nice dough too.