Is this the year with no leaf season?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kelly's Landscaping, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

After doing landscaping for 23 years I knew when we had a real wet summer with virtually no drought skips it was blessing with a huge price tag. Iv been around long enough to know that means the leaves would last 2-4 weeks longer and push the fall clean ups back till late Nov early Dec. And of course that's an issue because then you can lose all of them with a freak snow storm. Well funny we should bring that up as I look out at 1 inch flakes passing my window. It's Oct 29th half my trees are still green still mowing with 2 weeks of mowing left due to the conditions. And they have this as a 4-6 inch storm starting around midnight trouble is the rain turned to snow 12 hour early. So now I am looking at probably a foot of snow before Nov. Granted they aren't predicting that yet but one thing you learn as a landscaper is how to read maps and I am better at it then the weathermen. So assuming the worse and we do get a foot how long to melt off since they have been off on the temp predictions by 10 degrees the entire week.

And so now I am contemplating the reality that I am owed 40k I am broke but just paid about 20k in bills a few nights ago and now may be losing the last 30-35k of the season can I stretch that till March that is the question. And course this is what always trips up the newbies is budgeting through the lean parts. All I can say is next spring would be insane if we miss 100 fall clean ups then add in the spring only guys and I could be looking at 40k in spring clean ups instead of the normal 16-18k. I guess its never a dull moment and I might have just gotten out of designing a box for the new truck for now.

2. Kelly's Landscaping

For those that don't know what snow looks like when the leaves are still green

1029011311a.jpg

1029011310a.jpg

1029011311.jpg

1029011310.jpg

3. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Leaves drop due to less daylight hours. The variation from year to year is minimal and weather doesnt affect leaves dropping very much.

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

We had the same thing happen to us here in Minnesota last year but not this early.

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Drought effects the maples majorly here if its very dry they hardly the leaves hardly make it out of Sept.

Now the branches are snapping here just had to move the trucks this is going to get really ugly tonight.

6. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Yeah here in pa is the exact same way still leaves on the trees. I'm waiting around till about 7- or 8 pm to see if i can go plow some accounts. as where getting snow right now. Didn't even start leaf cleanups yet. What a messed up and sloppy year that's for sure. It's deffinately a mental strain. This season just flew by with rainy weeks, and just trying to keep up with the fast growing grass, i didn't get to stop and smell the roses this year. Hopefully next year is nice and dry. I wish you luck in trying to finish out the season good.:usflag:

7. DiSantolandscaping

DiSantolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

take some more pics in a few hours so we can see what we have got comming our way. there saying 6 to 12 here and its not supposed to start till after midnight, but its already snowing in western nh so im thinking about 4 hours itll be here.

8. cslawnandlandscape

cslawnandlandscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

I sure hope not, most of my properties have had multiple clean ups on them already but these still had half if not more of the leaves on their trees.

I'm just curious to see what this storm does. It's snowing like a ***** here in Southington

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Nice Photoshop edits...I dind't know there was a snow effect you could add. We all know that it doesn't snow in October in CT!!!

10. Kelly's Landscaping

I moved the trucks and with in the hour I got a 300 pound branch lying almost exactly where my 2011 ram 4500 was parked. Interestingly I got 2 shots I can take now where it shows tree tops on the ground there were not there in my first pics.