Is this too much truck for me?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Element Property Mgmt, Mar 24, 2013.

1. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

It is a decent enough setup. I like the plow. Set it up with a flatbed and dovetail. Make the dovetail removable and you don't need a trailer. That is winning and not that Charlie Sheen winning either.

2. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I've been happy w/ my F350. My flatbed gives me lots of versatility. When it's not pulling my lawn trailer or plowing snow in the winter, I can put my truck camper on it and use it to go camping. Having had 3/4 ton trucks in the past, I can say I've not had anything I couldn't tow or haul with the 1 ton.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Perfect truck in my opinion. I'd throw a dumping flatbed on there or even a contractor dump bed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Ethanslawn

Ethanslawn LawnSite Senior Member

depending on what your towing trailer wise double/single axle and single mower (ztr,walk behind). The cost mostly with a true 1 ton is the tires will cost you between 1000-1500 for all 6. the next thing will be the bed either a dump bed of some sort. Imo the best bed i would use is a flatbed with removable sides,probably best would be just a basic flatbed with pockets, so you can build sides. The other thing is just basic mechanical not really much goes wrong with these trucks.

5. Element Property Mgmt

Element Property Mgmt LawnSite Member

thanks for convincing me lol, i really liked the idea of it but wasn't sure it would be worth it like i said but if i do a dovetail setup and park my scag right up high on the back where everyone can see it, i think that would be an attention grabber. Also not having to tow would immediately put that gas money i was worried about right back in my pocket. that plus a cab vinyl wrap, and i'm in business.

6. Element Property Mgmt

Element Property Mgmt LawnSite Member

i think im going to try to buy this truck, and rig up a wood flatbed setup on it with metal framing on all of the sides that have stakeholes in it and then rig a detachable dovetail extension. i will be able to do anything.

7. Ethanslawn

Ethanslawn LawnSite Senior Member

You might even wanna look at something similar to a split ramp in the middle long ways like a landscapeing trailer. With hinges that able to be bolted and unbolted.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Gas mileage is going to suck, and suck really bad. On a good day, going downhill, with a 50 MPH wind at your back you might see 12 MPG.

9. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

with the versatility of that truck, it's all you'll need. the money you save by not towing a trailer, or purchasing a trailer or multiple trailers will go a long way in gas.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

He's still going to have to purchase/rent at least one trailer. There is no way he's going to get a skid steer on the back of that truck. I think he'd be much better off with a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup. Chevrolet makes a heavy half ton pickup that is an incredible performer. My 1/2 ton Chevy doesn't even need helper springs to hold my trailer up where-as my 1/2 ton F150 did require them. And I'm getting over 20 MPG on the highway.