Is this tree safe?

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by Chris81, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Chris81

Chris81 LawnSite Member

I wasn't sure where to post this but I just wanted to get your opinions on the safety of this tree. I bought my house a few years ago and this giant tree has always bothered me, especially when we have high winds. There are 3 giant branches that extend from the base and what seems to be a crack on one side of the tree. I don't know much about this stuff so I wanted to be sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

another ash destroyed by the emerald ash borer. Has it started dropping branches yet?

3. Chris81

Chris81 LawnSite Member

No large branches have fallen yet. Just some small branches have fallen after a windy night.

I'm just wondering how bad it is and if I need to have it taken down or not.

4. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I would take that tree down in a heart beat. Split trees almost never end up good. That would crush your house
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Agreed. That tree also should ave ever been planted so close to any structure.
    Great example of poor placement and type of tree used.
    easy-lift guy

6. Chris81

Chris81 LawnSite Member

I really can't afford to have it taken down at this point. Do you think I could get the town to take it down for free?

7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I'd charge around 1500 to take it down
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ANY power lines close to it?

9. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you afford to have your house smashed into two?

Where I live, the town would cut down trees within the easement (outside of the sidewalk), for a reasonably low cost, but the waiting list could be years. Behind the sidewalk, they won't touch it.

10. KG26

KG26 LawnSite Member

The city? Probably not, seeing as it is not interfering with power lines. My best guess is if you have homeowners insurance call them. It will be less expensive to have them cut it down than to pay you for damage it could cause in the future.