Is this tree safe?

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by Chris81, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

That ash was garbage long before EAB was introduced to the USA.

Find the money, because that thing is not long for this world.

Not even close to safe.

Hope your bedrooms aren't in the front of the house.
  2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

How can contacting ones home owners insurance pay for the removal of a tree?
    I believe if the OP contacts his home owners insurance company and an agent comes out to look at the tree, there may be a good chance that someone's policy may be going up in price. Find the money and get the tree taken down by a professional Arborist.
    easy-lift guy
  3. KG26

KG26 LawnSite Member

If he has homeowners insurance chances are they have seen the tree and still provided him with a policy. Like I said Call your agent. They might be more willing to spend $2,000 to take the tree down oppose to cutting you a check for $15,000+ for home repairs or the value of the home.
  4. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Do not call your insurance company. Get the money and have it removed. You can probably work a deal with a local arborist and make payments.
  5. KLawn75

KLawn75 LawnSite Member

I wonder If you could just cut the trunk that's leaning toward the house. It looks like it might still look ok if that was done.

You might be able to top it as well to eliminate some of the weight and bending branches.

I had a tree that was much younger than that that split into two trunks about 8' high. We a storm with a bit of wind and when I came home, both trunks were bent over and it looked like they fell on the neighbors car. Luckily, the branches didn't hit the car.
  6. Arena landscaping

Arena landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from wayne

I would take that tree down as soon as I could, remember it costs allot less to have that taken out then to rebuild your house.
  7. Nick's Lawn Care

Nick's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The branch union is not the strongest. How ever I do not think that it will fail soon. You could do a weight reduction on the lead, followed by cables in the tree and I would not worry about it at all. The only bad thing is that it is an ash tree so it will have to come down soon anyways so it would not be worth putting the money in for a cable. What town do you live in? I can recommend you a respectable tree company.
  8. Chris81

Chris81 LawnSite Member

Thanks. I live in Rochester, NY (Greece) and I've contacted the town office to see if they will take it down. They are supposed to send someone out in a few days to evaluate the tree.

If they don't do it I would definitely appreciate a reccomendation. Only problem is my money is super tight right now. Just got out of college and am looking for a job so I am in debt up to my ears.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Policies don't cover trees unless\until they fall on the house. The insurance company will be more than happy to take the chance that it won't fall on the house. They are the world's biggest gamblers.

Sure, the leader heading towards the house could be removed, but it still leaves an unhealthy and soon to be dead tree. The cabling idea is best, but it's throwing good money after bad.

The tree needs to be removed, before a good wind storm or heavy, wet snow takes it down.

Good luck.
  10. Bashby

Bashby LawnSite Senior Member

From what I understand, homeowners insurance will only pay to remove a tree after it falls, and if it doesnt damge anything, they do not cover the cleanup. Best case scenario, it falls and nicks the gutter. You get a new gutter and the tree cleaned up.