is this truck good?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PORTER 05, May 25, 2008.

1. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

2001 GMC Classic Sierra 3500 HD dually dump truck SL 4X4--

5.7L 8 cyl

automatic tansmission

15,000 GVW

42,700 miles

very very very good shape, everything looks great and cab and body looks new

$16,900

just wondering if this engine is a good engine and if this model truck is good, or if they have alor of problems, thanks alot!!!

Porter-

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

With the small block 350 in it, your payload should be really good!

3. PORTER 05

you mean itll haul alot of weight??

is that a good engine, is it prone to alot of problems????

4. J&R Landscaping

With it having the heavy 15000 gvw and having the smaller engine, yes it will be able to haul more weight. The 350 gm engine is a great engine. Parts are readily availible too.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If the truck is a 3500HD then it has a 454 engine it is not 350 powered the truck wouldn't be a 4x4 and the truck has 19.5 wheels.

Somebody has their info mixed up in the ad your looking at. Any truck with a manufactures gvw of 15,000lbs doesn't come powered with a small block engine and it doesn't come as a 4x4.

6. J&R Landscaping

I saw that too. I know the older F superduty trucks were a 15000 gvw but only 2wd. You prolly know more about the gm trucks though. Either way though, the 454 is still a good engine as long as it has not over heated. Not to good on fuel but your not buying a dump truck for fuel economy.

7. Gravel Rat

It doesn't matter if its a 460 Ford or a 454 they burn gas. You stomp on it for a second you can kiss 10 bucks worth of fuel good bye :laugh:

My brother has a F-350 dually with 460 power its a pig on fuel. To make a trip a X amount of distance costs 65 dollars and the same distance with my truck which is 1500lbs heavier is 30 dollars in diesel.

Right now diesel fuel here has gone up to 5.40 a gallon so diesel trucks are not cheap to run anymore but still better than a big block gas.

8. Tim C.

Tim C. LawnSite Member

I think gravelrat is right, it should have either the 454 or 6.5 diesel. I know Monroe, I believe, converted some of these trucks to four wheel drive. I am not sure what years they did so. It would definitely have the 19.5 rims.

9. Gravel Rat

The 3500HD 4x4s are really distinctive looking because they are tall. Most of the 4x4 converted 3500HDs were gas pot short wheelbase trucks.

The F-Superduty Fords were also converted to 4x4s because there wasn't any 4 wheeldrive dually cab and chassis trucks with a 15,000lb gvw untill 1999 when Ford changed to the "Super Duty" body style.

10. PORTER 05

ya you where right, no 4X4 , website messed up and wrote it in there, they have fixed it...it was such a nice truck 2, but i cant buy a 2X4 even though i already have a 89 3500 2X4 dump , i want a 4X4

thanks guys!

ill keep on searching-