Is this true?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJLC, Feb 22, 2001.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My mom in cincinnati just e-mailed me and told me she got a flyer today from a lawn company that claims they can reduce the frequency of mowing and the amount of grass clippings by as much as 50% for 4-6 weeks, long enough to get through the spring surge. They say they can accomplish this by reducing the growth rate of the turf grass. Knowing that alot of you guys are up north I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this. Thanks for any thoughts.

2. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell LawnSite Member

I've not heard of anything like that around here yet, but I am relatively new to the commercial side of the biz. If it's true, then I can see many bags of Miracle Grow in the future. ;)

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Yes it is true. You can put a growth regulator on it in a spray form and slow down the growth. It's been around for a while. :)

4. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell LawnSite Member

Shows what I know. :eek:

5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Makes me wonder if that if it is such a great thing, why aren't we all doing it???

It must not be "all that"!

6. Kansas Turf Man

Kansas Turf Man LawnSite Member

Yes this is true. I go to Kansas State University. In my turf science we did an experiment with some of the growth regulators. Many of them work for up to 6 weeks. The best one on the market is Premo turf growth regulator. It will stop top growth in about 10 days then work about 6 weeks.

7. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Primo is a good product. There are others out there. They work by stopping cell division or cell elongation. Just be careful with growth regulators! Do not use them on turf that recieves a lot of traffic or turf that is recovering from disease/insect damage. These regulators effect how the grass recovers from damage and stress. It also requires an exact and even application or stress and uneven growth will result.

Scott

8. Kansas Turf Man

Kansas Turf Man LawnSite Member

I am in total agreement with Forever Green Lawn. If not applied properly they could cause a headache. They should never be used on a lawn with traffic, athletic fields, or playgrounds. One of the best places for their use is around fences to reduce mowing. They can also be mixed with striping paint. Use a small amount and the stripes will last longer due to the fact that the grass that is striped won't be mowed off a quickly.

9. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

It is not particurarly cost effective to use it on normal residential lawns, just to reduce mowings. We use it to reduce trimming, and on hillsides that are difficult to mow.

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

We tested Primo about 5 years ago. Make sure you use marker dye :) or you might end up with a mohawked lawn. It slowed St. Augustine for about a 6 weeks to half growth (less the first two weeks). I don't see where it would be to cost effective on normal residentials. On commercial accounts (and even some residentials) it is great for hard-to-mow areas like hillsides and such.

Damn, I just went back and read Jaclawns comments, sounds familiar :D