Is this true?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrianK10, Jul 6, 2004.

1. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

Hey all.

Met up with a friend today to do weekly maintenance on our equipment. When I pulled up to his building, he took notice of something that I never thought, nor heard about before. He says he turns his fuel knob off on his walkbehinds before transporting them on his trailer. He says if you hit a bump, fuel can get lodged in the carb and start problems, or something like that. He suggested I try and start doing it. So, here I am, confused. Fact or Fiction? Good or bad? Seems lodgical, but I've never had problems starting my mowers. What do you say?

Brian

2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

He is correct. I always had to do it on my 14 hp Kawasaki, but never have to on my 17 kawi. Not as of yet anyway.

3. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

It is good practice. But I very rarely do it.

Think if one of your fuel lines has a stress point in it somewhere, you hit a bump and something else on the trailer hits the line. Then you have a couple of gallons of fuel draining all over your mower and trailer. Very likely to happen but it could.

4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

it depends if your carb has a FLOAT in it....the float can bounce alowing more fuel to go into the cylynder,,,,efectively flooding it some so its harder to start!

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Most engines say to shut off the fuel when transporting. But I never do. Never had a problem yet in 8 years.

6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

My yards are a heck of a lot rougher than my trailer is. Should I shut the fuel line off when mowing??????? I certainly would not like to lose 2 gallongs of fuel while mowing!!!!!

7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have never shut off the fuel while transporting my mower. No problems in 12 years.

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

The bouncing float will eventually mess up the seat of the jet and fuel will seep into the cylinder and then down past the rings into the crankcase mixing with the oil. It won't stop the wear but, it will stop fuel from seeping. I do it EVERY time I turn my mower off.

9. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

BrianK10
    Your friend is correct.
    Most newer small engines have a "duck Bill" or other type of check valve in the cap on the fuel tank. They prevent fuel from escaping while allowing the tank to vent or breath.

This can cause excess pressure to build in the tank from the sloshing fuel during hot weather. If the fuel to the engine is turned on and the float bounces up and down while transporting the excess pressure in the tank can force fuelinto the carb causing flooding.

I turn all of my fuel valves when transporting just to ease my own mind.

If your float needle and seat are kept in good shape you may go for years and never have a problem. Then you may hit a bump tomarrow and flood every engine on your rig.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

All my machines have the fuel shut off when not in use. Whether on the trailer or in the shop. I had it go thru the carb once and dump 1/2 a tank of fuel into the crankcase. Will not have that happen again.