is this walk behind a good deal?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by realqualitygreen, Jun 9, 2006.

1. realqualitygreen

realqualitygreen LawnSite Member

SCAG 48 COMMERCIAL WALK BEHIND MOWER 14HP KAWASAKI BAG

5-6 years old, 252 hours on it?

Help, I am a startup and cannot afford a brand new one. thanks!

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If it cost no $ it is a great deal????

3. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

I'll go out on a limb here. Since you didn't post a sales price I'll either offend of satisfy you.

First of all, I'd like to see a 17HP on there, but that is another story.

The hours seem awful low for the age. If it was totally stored indoors, had regular maintenance and looked like it wasn't beated to death..........

I would give $1,150- $1,300 for it.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with the motor size--14hp is small for 48"s

5. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

I had a 14.5 on my old 36" Exmark WB (belt drive)

6. realqualitygreen

sorry for not throwing out a price. the seller was an ebay seller which was what got me concerned. The seller was local...and I asked him if I gave him $1000 after seeing it in person would he do the deal? he answered with a simple no. Without any explainations, I assumed this seller was not very confident about his product. The highest bid at the time of my quation was only $1100..so very good estimate PMLAWN!

7. tennman

tennman LawnSite Member

I don't understand, if the bid was up to $1,100 why would he want to take your offer of $1,000.

8. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Haha. You'll find one just keep searching.

9. realqualitygreen

i was less than 1.5hr away and it would be a no hassle deal. I just wanted to see it, if I liked it, I would give him the $1000. No delivery, no ebay transactions, just simple face to face buy.

10. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Keep at it, you'll find one. I've heard people on this forum talk down on buying equipment on EBay, I have had nothing but positive experiences both buying and selling over the Internet.

P.S, most of my transactions have been "outside" EBay too. Don't be afraid to contact people who are selling with a reserve that doesn't get met. Sometimes they realize they were not in the real world and will let it go for what you want to pay.