is this weed eater any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Jan 2, 2004.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

hey everyone, i was just in Big Bear yesterday. they are going out of business. they have a mcculloch (i think thats how you spell it) weed eater for 50 bucks. just wondering if it would be worth 50 bucks for a back up weed eater. you know, just to give the echo a rest every now and then. anyone every hear of that brand or used it? thanks ahead of time for you opinions. oh yea, its 32cc and straight shaft. its one of those that you can put different tools on it (chain saw, tiller, etc...)

lawn wizards

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have heard of them but never used one, tuff question 50 bux isnt bad in my opinion if you have it to spare, but on the other hand that is 50 bux to put towards another echo sorry im not much help, by the way i purchased a ryobi for a back up and it has different attachments like you mentioned and im pleased with it, i dont use it much though, but i thought the money i spent on it was a good investment to get me out of a bind at times

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

for 50 bucks I wouldn't hesitate.We've had 2 of them and after 5 years they both need throttle cables but still run.they were not used every day but still got their use.For 50 dollars if it doesn't last forever so what.As a backup it will serve your purpose.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Don't waste your money on the homeowner equipment, backup or not.

5. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

well,echo has not impressed me either.

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Junk

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Junk, so is echo. Get shindaiwa and you won't need dealer support, cables, or anything for that matter for years and years.

8. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Nest,
    how long you had your Shindy's? Thinking of switching to deere's next year and get away from the echos but been hearing good things about the shindy's.

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I see on your profile you have been in business for 1 year. When that was the case for me, i did have a Mccollocha, it was ok for what i needed. If i had the money, i would have gotten something better. So i would say, if money is tight (and its nothing to be ashamed of, it certainly was for me when i was starting out) then get it. But if you can afford a commercial, then go that way because you will need it sooner than you think.

10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

dvm, I've had shindaiwas for years and years. Before I went solo, I worked for a guy who ran nothing but, some got to be over 10 years old. Still ran. I actually have too many now. I'm solo, and I have 3 T270's, 2 T260's, a T230, and a 261 & 260 stick edger. I got a little panicked when they started making the new ones with the "1" . It's the newer emmsions. So I grabbed up all the "old" ones I could find. The new ones are alright though, just a touch less power. I guess my oldest is almost 4 years old, or so. I have never had ANY of them in the shop for anything more than a new grip, and one for something else trivial( fixed it right there at the shop, loose wire or something). I swear by them.