1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is "trilliun" A Safe Product?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by cenlo, Jun 21, 2004.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

When I purchased my franchise, the owner told me that he has a ground water safe, biodegradable herbicide. He said that on toxicity scale caffeine is stronger. I was told the product was very safe and that it just happens to be on the "pesticide" side of the fence. Here's what is on the label:

TRILLIUN
    Liquid turf herbicide
    Commercial

Reg. # 18963
    Pest control product act

Guarantee
    2,4-D (isomer specific).............190g/L
    Mecoprop (d-isomer)...............100g/L
    Dicamba....................................18g/L
    All present as dimethyl amines

Hazardous Ingredients (LD50)
    2,4D...............................................1420 mg/kg 19%
    2-propanoic acid (Mecoprop)............650 mg/kg 10%
    Dicamba.........................................1039 mg/kg 1.8%

Plant Products Co. Ltd
    314 Orenda Road
    Brampton, Ontario
    L6T 1G1

I'm wondering if I have been misled. Is this product safe?

I don't use and chemicals in my program, but the franchisor is recommending the above product.

Thanks, in advance Don

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

It's what is referred to as a "three-way" herbicide. Similiar to Trimec, Weed-be-Gone, Triplet, etc. Definately a herbicide. You have been misled to believe that it is safer than caffiene. If you don't use chemicals, then you don't want to use it.

3. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Can you provide any proof that caffiene is safer. Or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks, Don

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Well, Don, by comparison, you can drink a cup of caffiene, with little side effects. Take and drink a cup of three-way and let me know what happens.....

5. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

I hate these type of comparisons. There is a big difference between a cup of caffeine, a cup of coffee, a cup of three way and a cup of three way mixed up for spraying. Caffeine in itself is a very powerful and toxic drug but in the parts per million in a cup of coffee it isn't to dangerous. A cup of pure caffeine would probably kill you. If you had the same amount of three way as caffeine in the cup of coffee you probably wouldn't even taste a difference let alone feel any effects. Remember that the LD50 values are usually based on the pure product.

Another thing to remember there is also a big difference between toxic and carcinogenic. All poisons have to be toxic or they wouldn't be a poison. But not all carcinogenic material is toxic