Is Troy Bilt any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rarebreedx5, Mar 9, 2010.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Home Depot is who sells Echo and Lowes sells Husqvarna. There is a true value hardware store around here that sells stihl and exmark. But it is independently owned, that is the key word here. Stihl is dead set against the big box stores and will never sell any of their stuff in one. Wish more companies had the same feeling! I should mention that the Echo you buy at home depot IS NOT the same as one you buy at an independent dealer, I found that out last year, the home depot models use certain cheaper parts. There should not be any difference in prices for Stihl either, if that Ace hardware is selling them for more, you need to let stihl know that. Stihls prices are set for every dealer and are the exact same price everywhere, even down to the penny! Those a**holes at Ace are just trying to make more profit.

2. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a couple of troy bilt 4 cycle trimmers a few years back when I first started out. They work fine for about 6 months or so and then one day, they stop. Nobody will work on them, so you have to trash them and be something else. Bite the bullet, buy commercial from a dealer and they will keep your equipment running for years and you'll come out ahead in the long run.

3. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i still find it hard to believe stihl is selling there equipment any where else except the dealers. i've never seen any good lawn equipment in any of the big box stores or even the little guys like ace or true value. i know home depot does carry toro but thats the only quality equipment i've ever seen at a big box store.

i wish you could get commercial equipment at the big box stores.

4. joel29m

joel29m LawnSite Senior Member

to me, if it dont cost no more than 300.00 green ones for a trimmer its not worth it, and a troy bilt is a weedeater trimmer to me.

5. MikeKle

Why would you wish that? Most people do not like the big box stores. especially for commercial lawn care equipment. They end up putting the mom and pop stores out of business. I wish all the big box stores would suddenly go under and close. then we would go back to having many little shops and independently owned. And again, the label may say Toro, but if it is being sold at a big box store, it has cheaper parts on it. Buy from independent dealers, nobody in this industry should be buying any equipment from Lowes or Home depot, parts and little disposable type stuff..yes, but not trimmers, mowers, trailers, etc.

6. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

Anything that is mtd troy bilt / mtd is $hit but I have a garden way/ troy bilt 21 that I am loaning to a relative right now that is a sweet mower the old troybilts are bullet proff

7. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

if the big box stores carried the commercial equipment it would be the exact same equipment the dealers carry. no cheaper parts or anything. i realize thats not the case but that would be included in the wish that the big box stores carried the commercial equipment. at least trimmers, blowers, edgers and push mowers.

there aren't to many mom and pop stores in my neck of the woods that are dealers. even the dealers around here are bigger than mom and pop stores.

i like to shop where it's convient and the dealers aren't close enough to me location wise. i live 5 min. away from lowes. the closest dealer to me is 20-30 min. away from me.

i also have connections with lowes where i can get things at a discount. so it'd save me some money as well.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

So I'm guessing you didn't find any Stihl equipment there?

9. MikeKle

I think he was mistaking the orange Husqvarnas for stihls?

10. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

Basically stay away from all the "name brand" equipment that is sold in the big box stores. So much of that equipment is made by MTD and MTD has ruined the quality of all those companies. It's all mass produced equipment with low end, plastic parts, cheap thin metal, and crap motors.