Is using a velky with a belt drive not good?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Oct 12, 2009.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

What are the drawbacks of using a velky or sulky on a walk behind that is beltdrivin? I was told at first that anyone under 180 lbs should be ok. However that a hydro would pull virtually anyone. I'm not that heavy but they are saying that my first transmission went out because belt drives are not meant to pull velkys ( after the fact). Cost me $500. At least I got 2 years out of it. But it's only been 2 months and it's already barely moving!!!

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

My Toro belt drive started to do the same, I just adjusted the belt, it must have streched, I weigh 188, I put it in 5th and it will toss me on my can if I'm not careful.......Toro 36'' Kawi 13hp is a 05 model..I would say no it shoudn't screw up a tranny....IMO..
    :usflag:

3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 1993 Toro Proline 44, 4-speed, 12.5hp Kawi, and it will pull me (200 lbs.) and the heavy Toro self-steering sit down sulky with no problems.

For hills I have to put a little more adjustment on the t-bar, both sides, maybe 2 turns.

Yup, the tranny belt needs adjustment even after break-in. And it will reach a point where adjustment does not help -- replace.

I don't use it much anymore, but it is still on depreciation so I keep it.

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Ideally..if you have a choice...a belt isnt the best for sulkys. If your ground is flat and wide open...maybe. Your problem is common and will continue. They just werent made for it.

5. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

if it is barely moving check the adjustment on the drive belt....i have gone through two tranny's on my belt drive avg life of tranny has been about 2/3 of what is expected without pulling velke.....also don't shift leave it in one gear and you'll prolong the life of the tranny if that is truly the problem....
    500 bucks for the tranny seems a bit high...originally that was what the dealer quoted me including labor to replace final bill was 380...shop around for replacements

6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Not that hard to replace it yourself for around $200.

And over time you get to where you shift very little and almost never put it in reverse except to get it off the trailer.

7. Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC

Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC LawnSite Member

While i agree that a hydro is the best choice for using a sulky, your belt drive should do the job fine. What do you think we did before the hydros came out ? we used to cut our 140 + acre campground with gravely belt drive and sulky and none of our operators were under 200 lbs, and we didnt seem to have any problems then.

8. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

a little different then pulling from jon to job cutting 10-20k feet

9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I cut lawns for 2 years on a 48" belt drive gravely WB with a sulky. I weigh 210 (ok...190 back then). Maybe put 500 hours on the machine. No problems.

Even if it caused problems, I'd gladly pay for repairs in exchange for riding the sulky and the greater productivity.

10. Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC

Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC LawnSite Member

Different in what way ?