Is using choke to turn off engine ok to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by orflanch, May 5, 2005.

1. orflanch

orflanch LawnSite Member

The start/stop switch on my stick edger doesn't work. It starts fine so I just use full choke to stop the engine. Will this cause any damage to the carb or engine after awhile?

2. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that it would put more stress on it. Take the start/stop switch housing apart. I tis probably just a connection that came loose.

3. orflanch

orflanch LawnSite Member

I did take the housing off and the contacts are clean and the switch works good. It must be a loose connection on the other end. I don't know enough about it to tear it apart and find it though. I'm afraid I'll mess it up more.

4. mhunt

mhunt LawnSite Member
    from SE

all you're doing when you switch the on/off switch is grounding out the spark to the plug, it's incredibly simple, just find where the connection is bad.

5. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Choking it to shut it off will not hurt it. It might make it harder to start the next time around cause when you choke it, you're flooding it.

As far as your switch goes, on my echo backback there is a place where the wire for the switch connects to the ground wire (in-line), sometimes this connection pulls appart and I cannot shut it off. Put it back together and it shuts off immediately.

6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Take the plastic covers off the trimmer and find the problem. A wire probably just came off. Really simple easy fix. Choking the edger to shut if off will foul out the plugs faster.

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

that's how the old shindaiwa brushcutters were turned off. you just flipped the choke up and let it die. I don't think that it will hurt it.

but the wiring is so simple I can't imagine why you would not want to try and fix it. just take the cover off and follow each wire. eventualy you'll find the break.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Choking it to kill it, will foul plugs, load up the spark arrestor and make it harder to start. It's an easy fix.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

My switch went bad on my JD edger a couple years ago. At the time I was have bolts fall out, hole in the primer bulb and other stuff wrong with it. I thought is was a piece of junk that I would have to replace soon, so I never messed with fixing the switch and choke it to shut it off. That was a couple years ago and it's still running strong. It starts a whole lot easier than my T230 trimmer and 7001 blower....so who knows?

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

My one Echo PB-400e is cursed. I have replaced and broken off at least 12 on/off switches. So I just choke it now to shut it off.

My other Echo PB-400E still has the original switch. I just don't get it??????