Is "Walker" the way?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dlomb72, Oct 17, 2002.

1. dlomb72

dlomb72 LawnSite Member

I am a growing business and I need some advice from people that run the machines. It seems like every landscaper in my area is running a Walker GHS mower. Are they really as good as they seem or is it just a trend? I have also been looking at Ferris Hydro walk behinds and other various sit down mowers (Encore, Lesco, Ferris) Please let me know if you have any advice or stories that will assist me in my decision. Also, what is the advantage and disadvantge of the seat position on the walker as opposed to the mid mount seat position on most of the other sit downs.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Huge question but the answer for my business is YES absolutely.

I will elaborate more later but now I have to go and use that Walker to do final cuts and then pick up leaves.

You have to judge it on a personal basis. No one mower does everything. There are some excellent ztrs out there and they do a great job cutting fast. They are limited in some respects too.

Walker is the best if you have high profile lawns or small to midsize lawns that need custom cutting. All out area mowing is possible but not as practical as a Z.
    I will always have a Walker.

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on what you're mowing. If you do alot of high end residential mowing I would say yes. I have yet to use a mower that leaves a better groomed look to a lawn. But you have to contend with clippings, and that's a big but to some people. I have Toro w/b's and z's and I just got a 2002 26 hp EFI 48" GHS deck Walker last week, I'm telling you I couldn't be happier. My residential lawns look better than ever. Great job of clean up as well. This thing will pick up pine straw off a concrete driveway and leave it clean as a whistle. I'm finding that I have to blow down less, it just doesn't leave anything behind. Get the 26hp EFI, you wont be sorry.

Scott

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I have no experience with this mower but demo whatever you are interested in getting before you buy. Run the equipment on the accounts you will be using it if you purchase. Personal knowledge and experience with the mower before the sale is key.

Gravely_Man

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have to agree with Gravley Man, Demo everything you can get your hands on, on the actual properties that you will be cutting.

I recently had a dealer that would only let me demo in the parking lot of his store. I told him that that was not a demo, I needed to SEE how it cut the grass. When he said that was not possible I told him it was not possible for me to purchase something from him.

If the dealer will not let you take a mower out for a spin, leave immediately.

Scott

6. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I agree you need to evaluate what your needs are. Walker is a great machine. I wouldn't own any other ZTR. If most of your customers want clippings mulched you will have to buy a different deck to do so with the Walker. The Walker has one of the nicest cuts out there, I get nothing but compliments from the customers I use it on. It shines on small residentials as well as larger lawns. Clean-ups are a breeze. Good Luck!!!

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

The high points of a Walker include the best grass bagging set up bar none. My opinion. And second they are very manuverable because of the compact size.

A small draw back is the forward speed is slow, that is helped by adding a $25 pulley to it.

I would agree with the others, Demo. I had two Walkers and loved em for what they did for my biz. There are also some fine mowers besides a Walker, demo is the way to find one that works for you.

8. kjfaulk

kjfaulk LawnSite Member
    from NC

I bought a Walker 1 week ago and, WOW, WOW, they are a awesome machine if your looking for a groomed finish and a manuverable machine. The vacum will suck the roots off the grass. OK, its not that strong, but it really is well worth the money. But you really do need to check other mowers to see what will best suit your circumstances. We have the Walker and two Mid mounts for our wide open bigger properties. That way we have mowers to suit all kinds of properties.Good luck

9. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

Most big companys here use large walkbehinds, l myself being solo and runing a full service company (hedges, weeds, sprinkler checks... I had to find a way to mow fast so I had time for the other stuff. I bought a Walker and couldn't be happier. Fair warning, if you demo you will buy.

-Dave

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Exactly, large companies use large walk behinds because the owners that are buying the machines are not doing the walking behind them....which makes perfect sense to me. Walkers, being a front deck mower, will save you time....saved me 33% in most cases. I use the mulching deck most of the time, but have a market for GHS.

MATT