Is washing you mower ok?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Turtle Creek Lawn Care, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Turtle Creek Lawn Care

Turtle Creek Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hey guys I was wondering if washing you mower off with the hose is ok. I want the mowers to look good and clean but will washing them with the hose rust them. (I'm Assuming) What do you guys do to keep them clean?:confused::hammerhead:

Thanks
    Ryan

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

yes it is.

Do not power wash mower's engine.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Compressed air here, but it doesn't matter, water or air over the years will strip or otherwise damage the finish and eventually it starts to rust... Of course so does leaving it dirty, so just do the best you can all I know.

Some wash it, others blow it off, some leave it dirty.
    Take your pick lol

4. brianhanson37

brianhanson37 LawnSite Member

I clean my equipment every few weeks, I have repainted a deck that was over 6 years old and made the mower look like new so in my opinion, painting is the best cleaner. Even though you can't repaint your deck after a job every time lol.

5. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Clean good dirty bad.lol

6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I blow mine off at the end of every day and power wash it every saturday. I even armoral the plastic and tires hahha. I know its silly because after the first cut its dirty again but i like to see it shining in the garage and it also allows me to do a good inpection when its clean.

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't recommend it,water and all the elec fittings will not work,+ the key switches always get stuck when there wet......:hammerhead:

8. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I hose it off and blow the water off with the back pack.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I try to keep my Tiger Cub clean but when you get it stuck in mud up to the frame, sometimes you HAVE to wash it with water. LOL Yes, I got my Tiger Cub completely buried in the mud yesterday. I was mowing in a fenced area near a pond on the farm I hang out at and sure enough it was way softer then I thought and couldn't tell it had standing water. I made it in, looked back and thought, great, it's muddy. The wet part is only going through the gate area, the rest was dry. I finished mowing and tried to get out, first attempt, stopped me dead, managed to back up out of it, thought, OK, full bore and I should make it, wrong, it sunk in so deep it wouldn't even move.

You can rest assured, I'll make damn well sure I take the striping roller off the back next time I try that move again. LOL Yep, I'm a idiot, tried making it with a striping roller on the mower. shakes head in shame...... :hammerhead:

To answer your question though, water is fine to clean the mower, it won't rust over night if you get it wet.

10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Have you guys never mowed in the rain? Its ok to get mowers wet! They are made for it! I happen to use an enclosed trailer so my machines get less wet than most and i power wash. Dirt will do much more damage than water. But to each his own. I am only a ASE certified master mechanic but what do i know right.