Is Weeding Profitable???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Is it possible to make weeding profitable? In my past experiences it is hard to charge too much for weeding, cuz the customer just thinks of it as just "weeding". Is it just that you have to get quick at it? I am about to stop taking weeding jobs because it doesn't seem profitable. Do you guys use the old fashioned hand-pull method (that would be me) or any time-saving tools? Do you use any types of sprays?

2. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I just realized I don't really mean profitable Of course it's profitable. I am asking is it possible to charge a high hourly rate($25.00/hr and up)?

3. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I offer "bed clean-up" & mulching; I charge my regular hourly rate for weeding & clean-up, & $50/yard for mulch installed. So, yes I think it is fairly profitable. I'd rather be mowing, but some customers want full service, so I must give them full service or else they will find someone who will.

SJR

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I may get chastised for saying this but I ain't pullin' no dang weeds! I hate it with a purple passion. I don't have $30,000.00 sittin' on my trailer so it can sit there NOT making me any money. The one place I had to pull weeds at is being taken care of now, the bed is being replaced with sod because it was a weekly thing. I haven't got into the bed maintenance aspect of the business yet because I haven't had much of a demand for it. If and when I do get into it it will be a seperate crew doing specifically this type of work so it does not interfere with my mowing schedule.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

1. Spray it
    2. Then mulch it

I agree with Homer. Unless you have a college kid or inemployed student to do it, Dont bother. Otherwise your on the right track in my opinion - charge em by the hour according to what you are accustomed to grossing per hour. If not its labor for free, because your profit margin is dwindleing fast.

PS You dont like the malt liquor purple passion Homer???

Just my .02
    Kris

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I agree, unless you can hire someone to do it for you. You cant afford to do it yourself. Hard to find someone to weed in hot humid weather.

7. powerreel

powerreel Banned

I would rather weed a layer planted garden then mow a football feild any day...Pruning too, any day over the stripes from hell.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a couple of community open areas that I do weeding for. What I do is charge them for the initial weeding, then I use Snapshot and charge them a monthly fee for weed control. If you stay on top of it , its easy money. I'll give them at least 2 visits a month. I guess that I should say I'm talking about mulch beds.

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You guy in the northwest and north have it easier with weeding than us down South. Its hotter than a witches titty by 10 am and that redclay we call dirt is like cement during the summer. Try pulling weeds in these conditions

10. unique lawns

unique lawns LawnSite Member

Weedind here in South Fl. is almost the most important part of the job. Since swamp is what we live in, there are weeds everywhere. We include the weeding fees in the contract, it's just part of the job. Some properties do not use mulch because of termites. But I control weeds with herbicides like Round up, It works great and the cost of product is better than employing guys just to pull weeds, I include that task in my employees' duties.
    http://www.uniquelawns.web.com