Is you blower powerfull enough

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Nov 2, 2001.

1. I have received sevral e-mails asking what blowers I'm using and if they are powerfull enough to blow leaves.

Is your?

I don't work for or represent Red Max.

I use Red Max EB7000 back pack blowers and they probably are the most powerfull on the market. Yes they work great.

What to look for in a blower is the amount of "CFM"
    Don't worry about air speed, it is how much air volume the blower will move. The more volume, the more leaves or other can be blown in a faster time.

I have a leaf loader vac that produces 22,000 CFM. Yes it can move leaves fast, but it is an example, it only has an air speed of about 210 mph.

Now the blower has a CFM of 529 at the end of the pipe at 200 mph. Do not get that confused with some others that rate theirs w/o the tube, RM's is 730 w/o tube.

BTW they suck down 2 cycle fuel real fast.

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Yes. Shin & RedMax.

3. casey

casey Guest

Echo now makes the most powerful blower on the market.
    Shin&Redmax are toys. Time to play catch-up.

4. Have to check into it. Can you post a link?

BTW the post was an example, but the CFM is the way to look for a blower.

Oh yeah casey, I guess you will be selling your blowers soon huh?J/K:cool:

5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe so but soon you can't play with them !:D

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Echo "says" they have the most powerful by their literature and mayby it is but not by much so I am sticking with my Shindy as I still enjoy blowing a brick up and down my driveway when the leafs are gone.

Toys?

7. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Stright from the book of my brand new ECHO PB 610

Air speed is 190 mph at pipe end.

Air volume 535 cfm at pipe end

This thing will blow a house down!

Here in california we can't buy the PB 650 so i had to go with the 610.

8. casey

casey Guest

Dealer tennis ball test: Echo 12 ft. straight up
    Shin&Redmax 6ft.
    Toys.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

LAWNGODFATHER wrote:
    What to look for in a blower is the amount of "CFM"
    Don't worry about air speed, it is how much air volume the blower will move. The more volume, the more leaves or other can be blown in a faster time.

Actually you want a combination of the 2 for best performance. Check out this hypothetical situation:

Guy A has a blower that moves 2000 CFM of air buy only moves that air at 100 MPH

Buy B has a blower that moves 1000 CFM of air but moves the air at 200 MPH

Guy C has a blower that moves 500 CFM of air but moves the air at 300 MPH.

Now if you use Casey's (Echo's) test then which blower would move the tennis ball the furthest up the test pipe?

If you have a 2 foot high pile of leaves to move them Guy A isn't going to get anywhere in a hurry. He has lot's of CFM but hardly any air speed.

Guy C can blow the leaves 30 feet but only 1 at a time. His blower is useless against a big pile of leaves.

Guy B is going to move the maximum number of leaves in the least amount of time because he has a balance between air speed and CFM.

Or you can put it this way. Take a cold front, a tornado and a hurricane. The cold front has plenty of CFM but it lacks windspeed because it's spread out over hundreds of miles. It may take a couple of branches down in thunderstorms but generally it does little damage. The tornado does terrific damage because of the high wind speed but this damage is confined to a limited area.
    The hurricane does the most damage over a wide area because it has both wind speed and CFMs.

This is why some blowers outwork other blowers of seemingly higher power.

10. Exalent analogies Richard, what are you doing in Lawn Care?

You are correct, but I didn't want to confuse to many.