1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is your home address the phonebook

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Twotoros, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Do to a screw up by Qwest my home address was listed in the yellow and white pages . For 15 years it was my po box where everything for the biz goes til now.
    Now I feel like I could be ripped off easier.
    I bitched Qwest out and they said sorry we'll fix it in 16 months!!!!!!!!!
    Do you guys publish where you live? If so do you feel less safe from the theft?
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

When I first started mowing on my own after buying out the guy I had previously worked for, I called "Ma Bell" and told them that I was starting a business but would be moving to our new home in June. I asked them if when I moved if this would change my number. They said yes, but if I wished I could get a "customized" number for I believe it was $2 month extra or some small figure thereabouts. I signed up for the service and then ordered all my stationary for the first time ever and it contained this number.

When we moved in June come to find out that the area we had moved to was serviced by a different "sub-station" and they could not allow me to keep the former number. Needless to say, I changed companies at that time and have yet to do business with them for this reason.

I have built a solid company without the help of the yellow pages. When clients ask why they cant find us, I just tell them that by keeping our advertising budget to a minimum I am able to pass the savings along to them.

Thanks for reading.

Note*** ma bell was used to protect the names of the guilty party whom should not be associated with Bell Atlantic.

3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you even think about publishing where you live in the Yellow Pages? May be I am not understanding the quetion, but being in the lawn maintenance business why would potential customers care where you live? I have the company name and phone number. Don't need advertising, I really only accept referral business.
  4. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

I don't need to publish my address every one knows where I live new customes don't call they come by the house after I get home. Just what I want after a long hot day
  5. powerreel

powerreel Banned

:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Next time I drive over the pass I know where to pick up some used equipt! :eek:
  6. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want my address in the book . They just did it. But I notice some other Lco's in my yellow pages have theirs in the book. Why I went from po box to home they know not. I was fuming mad at ma bell and thought about canceling . I would still be in this years book anyway.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i just have the city listed so as to hopefully only get calls from local people
  8. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

I agree with everyone else. I don't want a customer knocking on my door at any time to complain or whatever. I use a Mailbox service for all my mailings. I would strongly suggest to anyone even considering doing it, not to. Your just asking for trouble. I would push the issue with Qwest, since it was their fault, and 16 months is totally unacceptable.
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe folks in other parts of the country/world would come by but not here. They probably couldn't figure out where I live anyway. I really don't see it as a problem for you but if it's a personal thing I understand.

My address is listed in the white pages but not in the yellow.
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

actually, you are very astute that participating here, as well as in the directory,may compromise your security.

back in the wild west days, about a year ago, there were some "MEMBERS" that were pretty cavilier towards the privacy of other members.

however! ADMIN stepped in like the marshals of the old west dozens of times, and the new forum was safe from people that would publish your name and number here.

anyone remember a year ago?