1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is your yard up to snuff ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Black Water, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if you, the lawn professional has the best looking yard in the neighborhood? Or are you so burned out that you just mow to keep the cows from grazing on it?

Has any one received any awards like yard of the month? I'm talking about your landscape at your house.

I do lawn care part time, but my full time job( industrial machine repairman) i turn wrenches all day long. By the time i get home i don't want to even look at a tool box. I think it has to do alot with the fact that i don't like doing it that much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm good at what i do,( bias opinion )and it has supported my family and i for the last seven years. But it's not where my heart is.

However, taking care of lawns and landscaping, i enjoy throughly, and it shows in my front yard where potential costumers can see it. I'm kinda like the neighborhood go to guy for lawn care.

So, my question is, do you guys advertise with your landscapes at your personal residences, or hide your rigs around the back of the house so no one knows theres a lawn guy living there?

2. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

I'm very much "part time" too and my story would read just like yours Robert. I love doing lawn care and the few yards that I take care of are mine just because of the care I put into my own yard.

This pic is about 3 months old and is of my furry little child but it's the only good pic I have of my yard for now :) The old bermuda is fading fast with the season.

furry child.jpg
  3. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

That's a nice patch of green ya got there Mr. Wales.:)
  4. BBS

BBS LawnSite Member

Wales is EXACTLY how I like my lawns,friggen clear!...My front and backyard are about an acre each,NOTHING but grass lol

To answer the question,I don't go out of my way to make my yard stand out but it's very presentable...I deal with customers pickiness all day,I don't want to deal with mine :D
  5. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a house and the previous owner didn't take care, it's invested with weed and such. Next year I'm going to redo it all. Take out old sod and replace, palm trees, and much more etc. Personally I think that a LCO's yard should at least reflect his work!
  6. laserman

laserman LawnSite Member

I don't put my adress on my biz cards because it is not a reflection of my work. I've never been cited by the city butt......
    I usually get by with 2 or 3 mows a season. I keep tellin my wife that I'll have the guys do it as soon as I get a check! lol
  7. brian mon

brian mon LawnSite Member

I'm to tired by the end of the week or working on equipment all weekend....so it tends to get a little out of hand...I just tell the wife "be glad I'm not a roofer"
  8. Gosh! I hope not. I've cut my own lawn once this year. Wife's been cutting it. It needs mowed right now.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a townhouse kind of guy right now...last thing I wanna do is have to cut my own grass, plow my own drive, trim my own shrubs, etc.. I had enough of that with the last 4 houses I owned. Thanks, but I'll pass.
  10. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

My front lawn is the best in my neighborhood and I only have one lady that even tries to make hers look good, it takes her total of 6 hours and it is only about 5k sq.ft. I don't live in the best area but it is safe and pretty clean. My back yard is far from the best but in all it only takes me about 25 min when I want to race, but I usually keep the mower in 1st and walk instead of ride. The soil in my area is clay and makes it hard to keep watered when it gets dry so it suffers a lot. And I do have my address on my business card so the front does have to look good and I even edge down both the neighbors sidewalks and I only service one of them, the surrounding homes help my property look good.