Isn't meant to offend anyone......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewLawn, Jun 5, 2001.

1. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

Hey,I'd like to address an article of concern.A lot of times when reading a post,I honestly can't tell what the person is talking about because of poor grammar/bad typing skills/poor spelling.I don't know if this upsets anyone else,but sometimes,I don't even know what they're talking about.Now,I'm not saying that every word has to be right,or everything grammatically correct,but could you at least try?I saw a post,and I couldn't understand what he was talking about at first,because when he tried to say "heard" he typed hard.I said to myself oh,must have been a typo,but nope,three sentences later,there it was again.He also spelled "cousin", "coushion",and left out periods,question marks,everything.I'm not meaning to offend whoever wrote this,but I couldn't even figure out what you were talking about.And it's not just him,I've seen several lawnsite members with this problem.Grassyfrass is another bad speller(no offense).I have to read his post 2 or 3 times before I can understand what he's talking about?!?!Anyway,I'm just saying that I wish most of you guys could take 20 seconds to read over your post and make sure that it makes sense,and try to spell most words correctly.If you're as hasteful and uncaring at your lawncare business as you are at typing,I wouldn't want you working for me,that's for sure.I've gone on way too long,but anyone who agrees(or for that mattter,disagrees)with me,please reply.AGAIN,I DID NOT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE!
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We all make mistakes. I noticed you don't use the space bar after comma's or after a sentence. There should be 2 spaces after the end of a sentence. I think this also makes it hard to read. Hard to figure out where one sentence starts and ends. We have had several discussions on this same topic over the months, but we will never get 100% correct spelling, grammar or sentence structure.

I do know what you are talking about though. I know for sure I'm not the greatest at posting, but I do try. That is the main thing in my opinion. :)
  3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a spell checker option before posting...

I agree it is sometimes difficult to understand the meaning. I make my mistakes from poor typing ability, by hitting the wrong keys. But I try to improve the readability of my posts the majority of the time.

I believe that with frequent posts, the user(s) will improve their spelling and grammar from experience.
  4. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I find it to be a sure thing that if someone starts out a sentence with something like, "Let me be perfectly honest with you...", I can be pretty sure that they won't be! Likewise when someone says, "I don't mean to offend, but...", I can be sure that they will. But what you said doesn't offend me. I try to take time with my posts, but inevitably there will be a typo or spelling error and rather than take the time to proof it a few times which is what it really takes to do it right for a post of anything more that a few short sentences, I just go on and hit the submit button.

That being said, the easy way to deal with this 'problem', at least for me, is to either hit my mental 'ignore' button and then push the 'back' button on my browser OR to sigh and try to wade through it in the hopes of being able to glean some bit of knowledge or insight, of which there's more than average on this site--yes folks, that's the correct way to spell where we are here, not 'sight' as I see so often but since I understand what they mean, so what.

Well, the rain's slacking off so it's back to work. Thanks for getting this far with my ramblings if indeed you did. !!
    Will M>
  5. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

I are an EnGineeer. I aint spel so good hey. LOL

I will agree it is a lot more work to read some people's posts than others. I personally, if it gets to the ludicrous stage, do what Mr. Z does - move on.

I am happy everyone feels free to contribute. This is an excellent learning forum for landscapers (and the occasional wayward engineer type).

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I certainly don't mean to offend, but, it takes a lot of nerve to write a post about bad grammar, spelling and typing skills, that is written in the manner which you are complaining about. Please heed your own advise before complaining about others making the same mistakes. Your post was just as hard to read as the ones saying "My coushion hard this is a god sight to larn about the green industry".

I put the 2 spaces before starting new sentences but the software automatically changes it to one space. I never noticed that before. We can't complain to ourselves about that one anymore, its not our fault!
  7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

This may be nitpicky--but when people put such a vague title description on their thread (example : "??????" or "Why Does?") it makes me want to skip it. An accurate description will get more viewings by people you would like to see it.
    As the Zif said though.....that is what the back button is there for.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

lot of time the way a man post gives some idea
    what he is like. adds a little flavor ,if you will
  9. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I've sure found that to be the case with you AW and I've come to enjoy everything you have to say in your own unique way. Keep it up, let your voice of experience and common sense keep on comin'! It's guys like you who bring a certain levelheadedness needed in a place like this. Thanks, Will M>
  10. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I have noticed that I am a bad speller. Latly, I have been trying to do better. Sorry to everyone else.
    I think we need more things like this, So people like me know what their doing wrong.